Alaska highway gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next summer my brother and I are riding to Alaska. From what I have read, high octane gas is not generally available. So we will have to rely on octane boosters.

I had a look around on "search" but could not find an answer to; is their a good octane booster that won't screw up our FI systems, 09 Triumph Tiger and 09 Rocket 3 touring.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What octane do you need?

Yeah, check the manual. Most motorcycles work with 87-octane regular.

Most all the roadhouse stations only have 87 and diesel, you'll have to make due. Just listen for ping under load and adjust your right wrist back or downshift as needed.

Some of the FI bikes have a ethanol jumper or program that adds about 3% to the fueling. Enabled it will usually take care of any ping on [censored] gas at the cost of slightly richer running. FWIW I've been up on a Goldwing and a KLR and never had any fuel problems other than stations not being open and people in the group running out. The most current Mileposts book is a good one to carry. Also top off when you can, no such thing as too much fuel unless your on fire!

Last edited:
If you are up in elevation, you will not need higher octane in most typical vehicles.

Find out if your FI system on the bikes have knock sensors. Many late model motorcycles have them and the ECU will retard the timing a bit to compensate for the 87 octane.

I looked through the manual and couldn't find any reference to a knock sensor. So no joy their.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back