Akebono ProACT vs. Raybestos Element3 EHT Pads (pics)

I used to put Akebono on everything (especially my family's Hondas), but had a couple not so great experiences. I put them on my BMW and they had no dust which was great, but they made a really loud "thunk" after driving for more than 30 feet after hitting the brakes or when reversing in a parking lot. Reading through the forums it's a common issue with this model car and Akebono pads. Apparently Akebono has "fixed" the issue several times and redesigned the pads without any luck. Going back to the brand that makes the OEM pads eliminated the issue.

I put Akebono Ceramics on my dad's Grand Cherokee about a year ago. He warped the rotors due to towing heavy loads without a brake controller. When I went to replace the rotors, the backing plate and tongs on the back of the inner brake pad had completely rusted off and fell apart in my hands. The rest of the pad looked great.

I have little experience with Raybestos besides their rotors which have worked well, and the Wrangler I just bought has their pads all the way around.

How are the shims on the raybestos EHT after a few winters? I find the akebono shims don't last long up here in the rust belt and I still have plenty of pad life left.

I had some Akebono Proacts on my Saab 9-3. I didn't find them all that great, so I changed them out. I think they were FF rated.

UPDATES?

I'm looking for updates to this thread, particularly for 1/2 ton truck use. I ditched motorcraft pads a little early due to a very spongy pedal feel and replaced them with hawk LTS, which has historically been my go-to truck pad. This set, or maybe it's just how the oem wheels collect and display it, really shows the dust. I haven't minded brake dust in the past, but these are dusting even the tires with mud-brown color. Adding to it, the shims/clips are insufficient on one corner and it rattles over every road imperfection. I'm leaning towards a change.

Our Hondas and Volvos do well with akebonos. My previous tundra found them entirely lacking in grip. We do tow, and I do regularly throw 500 lbs in the bed. The truck is also near-daily driven.

I've been watching the EHT pads off and on for a while. How are folks liking them?

-m

Originally Posted by brslds
How are the shims on the raybestos EHT after a few winters? I find the akebono shims don't last long up here in the rust belt and I still have plenty of pad life left.

I can't speak specifically to the element3 yet. But, the raybestos professional pads, which were the previous lineup from raybestos, rust out as terrible as everything else does for me after 5 years.

I just changed out the rear rotors and pads on my 2011 GMC Terrain with cheap eBay rotors from brakemotive and Akebono ACT pads. So far the Ankebono's have been great, no noise and very little dusting. I actually scored some Akebono ASP premium line pads for the front for only $12 off of eBay. Yes I only paid $12 shipped, it was a real score. However I still have some material left on front so I am going to wait before I install them.

I use Element 3 pads exclusively. The price on RockAuto is so good for such a great pad. I used to use Advanced Technology but they were replaced with EHT's. These pads bite good, are quiet and low dust. They are better than pads I've paid much more for.

I installed the eh3 pads & rotors all around on my 14 f150 a few weeks ago. I towed my 3 atv's ( about 3000lbs weight with trailer, quads & gear ) for a Father's Day ride and very happy with the brakes performance.

Ok, just swapped the fronts from the Hawk LTS to EHT/Element3 today, and drove around and did some bedding in. They were good and hot when I came home.

1. The rattling was gone- these fit good and snug in the shims. That was so nice.
2. Will watch regarding dusting. I'm not too picky about this but the hawks were prolific dusters, enough that the red clay look was everywhere and not attractive. Bright brown clay.
3. The pedal feel takes a step backwards... if the Hawks are delightfully firm and the oem is stepping on a pneumatic wheelbarrow tire, the Raybestos falls somewhere in between.
4. Cold start braking was always slightly numb with the hawks, as they are a mild metal pad. Cold start braking loss doesn't seem to be a thing with the Raybestos. They are probably a favorable balance for me... will give them a go for a while and probably swap the rears. I kept the hawks just in case but I'd definitely need to shim them in to cut the rattle.

Since this was a pad slap, I'm sure they aren't yet fully bedded in yet. I'll try to report back.

M

Interested to hear your results after a few days/weeks with these new pads. May consider them for my parents car when they are needed.

Thanks

Ok, just swapped the fronts from the Hawk LTS to EHT/Element3 today, and drove around and did some bedding in. They were good and hot when I came home.

1. The rattling was gone- these fit good and snug in the shims. That was so nice.
2. Will watch regarding dusting. I'm not too picky about this but the hawks were prolific dusters, enough that the red clay look was everywhere and not attractive. Bright brown clay.
3. The pedal feel takes a step backwards... if the Hawks are delightfully firm and the oem is stepping on a pneumatic wheelbarrow tire, the Raybestos falls somewhere in between.
4. Cold start braking was always slightly numb with the hawks, as they are a mild metal pad. Cold start braking loss doesn't seem to be a thing with the Raybestos. They are probably a favorable balance for me... will give them a go for a while and probably swap the rears. I kept the hawks just in case but I'd definitely need to shim them in to cut the rattle.

Since this was a pad slap, I'm sure they aren't yet fully bedded in yet. I'll try to report back.

M

I’m quite pleased with them, and also installed them in a Lexus GS. They’ve been great in both. Based on the rotor surface, they are probably a little harder on rotors than ak‘s and even the Hawk pads I was using before. The dusting is minimal and is darker grey, not red, in color. The Lexus will squeak once in the morning sometimes but that’s it. They seem to bed easier than others I’ve used. At the moment, these are my go-to pad. Pedal feel is great. Good initial bite, solid stopping power, and they have a firmer feel to them.

I’m quite pleased with them, and also installed them in a Lexus GS. They’ve been great in both.
We have a 2013 GS350 F Sport; famous for squeaking on every pad rotor combo except factory. And the factory pad has been redesigned.
I would be curious to know how the Elements perform. Thanks!

Back