Aircraft Landing Lights--Anyone still use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've used 5 3/4" round sealed beam lamps for the high-beams on my old BMW 733i, for the last 25 years.

Has anyone else still use them and have any stories about their use?
cheers.gif
driving.gif
patriot.gif

Not sure if you can still buy them by that name. I think Napa and other automotive stores package them as "off road" lighting.

They were available in 12 and 24 volt. There was the landing light and the taxiing light. One was a flood and one was a spot.

They would fit nicely into the highbeam position in the old, round, four headlight systems.

Truckers usally replaced one highbeam element with the landing light element. These things drew a lot of juice and were hard on headlight switches unless a relay was used. Very, very bright.

I mounted one on a Chev pickup in the mid seventies and it would light up deer eyes a mile ahead.

Quote:

Those aren't DOT approved. Shame on you
wink.gif

HI Lou,

Ya, I know, but neither were the Hella E code H4's, back then.
Today, they have projector lenses and even arc lights, blue tinted beams too.
You could tell if the deer you see was a Doe or a Buck, from a mile away too!
nono.gif
driving.gif

Had a heck of a time aiming them.
Worked great once they are set right.
K-C hylites have 'pencil beams' driving lights. That's about as close as you can get today.

Quote:

Had a heck of a time aiming them.
Worked great once they are set right.
K-C hylites have 'pencil beams' driving lights. That's about as close as you can get today.

I have 2 100watt KC driving lights and 2 150watt KC pencil beam lights mounted to the brush guard on the front of my f150. The 100watters are wired into the high beam switch (but I installed a secondary switch to disable them if I want) The 150 watters are on their own switch. And yes, before anyone asks, I did the math on the current draw (about 40 amps) and know how to wire them using micro switches and relays and sized the wire based on the current draw and length. With them all on I can make a stop sign glow from 1.5 miles.

The first time I drove into my uncle's farm at night he thought the national guard was landing a helecopter in the yard.

I only use them out on the open road away from traffic, that and the occasional driver who flashes high beams at me when I actually have mine on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back