AIRBUS A380eco UPGRADE. Additional engine and eco cell tanks to reduce fuel consumption by 65%

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
One of the most intriguing things I have seen in quite a while. Adding a "fifth" engine to the A380, a commercial airliner on life support- will add a boost of 65% in fuel economy. I suspect the 65% is only saved during cruising altitude, not overall fuel economy. Cost for the fifth engine is $74 million dollars, and four months "at the shop". HAFD.

AIRBUS A380eco UPGRADE. Airbus has this week released an exclusive upgrade for existing A380 operators with the installation of an additional engine and eco cell tanks to reduce fuel consumption by 65%

The modification which will be a 4-month engineering procedure will cost approximately US$74 million but return a $295million saving in fuel costs.
Alternatively, the additional fuel efficiency would allow a 22-hour flight endurance allowing flight between any two destinations on earth
The operation involves a 5th high altitude eco hydrogen high energy engine and the shutting off of engines 1 and 4 once at cruise altitudes above 35,000 feet

Airbus now expects to upgrade up to 100 pre-2022 model A380s for existing operators. HAFD.
https://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletter

316948399_3541828966090096_8935820209749297332_n.jpg
316830254_3541828939423432_7843825233113293623_n.jpg
316688862_3541828956090097_3344233341810512367_n.jpg

https://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletterhttps://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletter

Umm, no. 65% fuel savings is a ridiculous claim.
Those draggy protuberances hanging off one side of the fuselage work against fuel efficiency, and it's ridiculous to say that one engine thrusting asymmetrically will allow shutting down engines 1 and 4, which will still be there, causing drag because they will still be windmilling. The pilot would have to put in left rudder to get the plane to fly straight with the asymmetrical thrust, causing even more drag.

Perhaps a swap of petroleum-based fuel for hydrogen, but I find it hard to believe it’s an overall energy savings of that magnitude.

One big negative is the considerable added drag resulting from shut down engines 1 & 4. When 4 jet engines were added to the B-36’s 6 piston engines, they were closed to airflow when not in use by aerodynamic doors. But, as these were turbojets, the area to be covered was much smaller than the high-bypass turbofans on the A380 so not sure it’s possible here.

Seems like a Popular Science magazine article. Maybe the mpgs increase is from coasting on the down hills.

GON, nice try. Not to speak for anyone else on this site, but you didn't get me.
However, I did get fooled one time years ago. It was the April 1st 1985 issue of Sports Illustrated.
The article was about a pitching prospect by the name of Sid Finch who could throw a 168 mph fastball. Well written, backed up with details. I admit that I was fooled and was angry about it after I found it that it was a HAFD article.
After that, it's pretty hard for me to fall for anything that I see on that day, except for a good one pulled on my by my daughter about 10 years ago.

Not gonna link it, but do a Google search on: Sid Finch, Sports Illustrated.

One of the most intriguing things I have seen in quite a while. Adding a "fifth" engine to the A380, a commercial airliner on life support- will add a boost of 65% in fuel economy. I suspect the 65% is only saved during cruising altitude, not overall fuel economy. Cost for the fifth engine is $74 million dollars, and four months "at the shop". HAFD.

AIRBUS A380eco UPGRADE. Airbus has this week released an exclusive upgrade for existing A380 operators with the installation of an additional engine and eco cell tanks to reduce fuel consumption by 65%

The modification which will be a 4-month engineering procedure will cost approximately US$74 million but return a $295million saving in fuel costs.
Alternatively, the additional fuel efficiency would allow a 22-hour flight endurance allowing flight between any two destinations on earth
The operation involves a 5th high altitude eco hydrogen high energy engine and the shutting off of engines 1 and 4 once at cruise altitudes above 35,000 feet

Airbus now expects to upgrade up to 100 pre-2022 model A380s for existing operators. HAFD.
https://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletter

View attachment 147889View attachment 147890View attachment 147891

https://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletterhttps://www.airbus.com/.../inn.../the-airbus-nova-newsletter
Emirates would order it 🤔

GON, nice try. Not to speak for anyone else on this site, but you didn't get me.
However, I did get fooled one time years ago. It was the April 1st 1985 issue of Sports Illustrated.
The article was about a pitching prospect by the name of Sid Finch who could throw a 168 mph fastball. Well written, backed up with details. I admit that I was fooled and was angry about it after I found it that it was a HAFD article.
After that, it's pretty hard for me to fall for anything that I see on that day, except for a good one pulled on my by my daughter about 10 years ago.

Not gonna link it, but do a Google search on: Sid Finch, Sports Illustrated.
That was one of the great George Plimpton's wonderful moments.

There was a similar writeup in (I think) an April edition of an aviation magazine, about a glider that was so aerodynamic it could make it's own thrust. It was written well enough to generate a high number of responses from the readers.

Reactions: GON
There was a similar writeup in (I think) an April edition of an aviation magazine, about a glider that was so aerodynamic it could make it's own thrust. It was written well enough to generate a high number of responses from the readers.
CUJ,

Rumor is Mary Barra read the article and dispatched one of the many Gm corporate jets to France, with gm marketers on board to take a look at this new technology. What was most surprising was CEO Barra sent a marketing team, instead of a engineering team.

CEO Barra was rumored to ask the marketing team if US pick up truck owners would still feel bravado in chevy trucks with the supplemental engine.

CUJ,

Rumor is Mary Barra read the article and dispatched one of the many Gm corporate jets to France, with gm marketers on board to take a look at this new technology. What was most surprising was CEO Barra sent a marketing team, instead of a engineering team.

CEO Barra was rumored to ask the marketing team if US pick up truck owners would still feel bravado in chevy trucks with the supplemental engine.
Been drinking GON … ? 👀

Reactions: GON
Are you thinking of a Peter Garrison Technicalities column that appeared in an April edition of Flying some years ago?
It was well enough written to suck many readers in for a bit, including me.

Are you thinking of a Peter Garrison Technicalities column that appeared in an April edition of Flying some years ago?
It was well enough written to suck many readers in for a bit, including me.

I do believe that was the one. I'd love to find a copy of it.

Back