Airaid Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided to go with an Airaid Filter in my wife's Trailblazer with a 4.2L I-6. It claims to out filter other reusable air filters. So we will see. The cost of the factory filters are almost as high as the Airaid was. Wix where less but still I believe around $25 ea. We drive on alot of back roads and just plain dust. I'll try to keep you up dated.

Dont do it oilcan its a trap.
grin.gif
Come on SPICER, if we all used AC-Delco paper it would wreck the economy.
crushedcar.gif
Engines wouldnt wear out, Detroit would fold, Oh my what a mess. Keep your Airaid oilcan, its your duty to America
patriot.gif

spicer, I will try an find the flyers I saw at the parts house, I will also look on the box and see what it says. So I'll get back to you on this item. It seems to me that the claim was they filter down to 2.5 microns. but let me check.

SPICER,
This all I can find at this time.
5 layer filter 4 cotton, 1 synthetic media, 304 stainless mesh.
COMPARISONS, Airaid # 800-315 820 CFM
Paper # AC-348C 538 CFM
Grams per sq/ft. Airaid 4
Paper 3
As for the micron size I couldn't find that. I can't say I gave you a wrong figure or made a mistake, other wise I couldn't run for President of the United States.
banghead.gif

Here's a little more info:

AIRAID®'s "4 +1" filter construction out-performs the others in clean air testing. Our competitors' airflow gains come at the expense of inferior filtration. AirAid® provides the optimum balance between maximum airflow and maximum filtration by utilizing 5 layers. The Fifth and "last layer of defense" is a synthetic media assuring the cleanest air possible from any washable filter.

We test to SAE standard J726, the method for testing fractional efficiency of a filter. We could say that we capture 99.997 percent of particles of 10 microns and larger, most air filters, capture the full range of particulates, even down to 2 microns. Our filters are so efficient that we test all the way down to 0.3 microns. At 2 microns, our filters capture almost twice the percentage of particulates that our competitors do, and more than 6 times the amount at 0.5 microns.

and also a little .pdf file that maybe someone can interpret for us non flow engineers:

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/load?t=airaid/5layers.html&ajr_skey=96ca6f471994da19f611cd59a78a49df

SVTDOOOd,
Thank you for your post, It gave me peace of mind, we took a 600 mile trip yesterday and I ran faster than I usally do and it didn't seem to see a great drop in fuel mileage. We do drive alot off-road keeping dirt out is #1 for me. Please e-mail me at [email protected] I'm looking for a 13" X 3" air filter for my 86 Ford F250 460 CID.

Here's what I found. Got it off the airaid.com website (did some google action).

1986 Ford F-Series Pickup V8 460 7.5L 4 bbl (VIN L) w/Ext. Fuel pmp 800-357
1986 Ford F-Series Pickup V8 460 7.5L 4 bbl (VIN L) w/Int. Fuel pmp 800-357
1986 Ford F-Series Pickup V8 460 7.5L 4 bbl (VIN L) 800-357
1986 Ford F-Series Pickup V8 351 5.8L 4 bbl (VIN H) 800-357

FWIW...I've run Motorcraft, Fram, and NAPA gold paper airfilters in my SVT, and K&N, AFE, and soon an Airaid drop-in oiled airfilters in my SVT. TBH...I've always felt the AFE was the best so far, but that was a 4 layer cotton filter.

It just seems to me that most manufacturers air intake systems are designed primarily "to get the job done" 1st, then noise surpression, then "make it fit into the confines of the engine bay"...with performance bringing up the rear. To my way of thinking...these restrictive intake paths need as little resistance as possible. And for some of us, who have optimized our TBs, have high flow exhaust systems, and have done everything we can to promote performance, an aftermarket AF just makes sense, and pays off as you mod more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back