Air Travel from US to Ebola Outbreak zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebola has a 60-90% mortality rate. We should all be concerned how its being handled and possible methods of transmission. In a world where one can travel from one end of the earth to another in a matter of hours, this disease can be in our back yard tomorrow, if it isn't already.

Fear mongering is one thing, but Ebola isn't to be taken lightly, extreme caution and observance needs to be given. With no cure, to me its a no brainer. Ebola once identified, is going to take lives sometimes many lives, that is a given but it can be managed if the necessary steps are taken, hard decisions have to be made other wise it can be a global disease in a hurry.

One really bad thing is the incubation period is up to three weeks. When you see a problem it could already be much worst. You simply can't quarantine enough to stop the spread once it's out of remote African villages.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Ebola has a 60-90% mortality rate. We should all be concerned how its being handled and possible methods of transmission. In a world where one can travel from one end of the earth to another in a matter of hours, this disease can be in our back yard tomorrow, if it isn't already.

Fear mongering is one thing, but Ebola isn't to be taken lightly, extreme caution and observance needs to be given. With no cure, to me its a no brainer. Ebola once identified, is going to take lives sometimes many lives, that is a given but it can be managed if the necessary steps are taken, hard decisions have to be made other wise it can be a global disease in a hurry.

I don't buy the claim that this is just fear mongering either.
The problem i have with all the downplaying in the media is these two people are American health care professionals.
On TV one doctor was saying "well here in the US we understand this better than they do over there" and all sorts of hogwash.

My question to this genius is.. then why did these two would also know the correct way to handle this and know all the safety precautions get it?
This stuff is deadly and those two should be treated there not brought here. Its only a matter of time that between these disease ridden illegals and some craziness like this that they will trigger an epidemic that is going to kill a lot of people.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/lockdown-...of-629-have-tb/

Last edited:
Trav what you are saying makes too much sense.

Therefore those who disagree with your argument will make all sorts of off the wall implications that you hate foreigners, certain people, ect. Society has become conditioned to feel guilty for using common sense.

While Rome burned, Emperor Nero fiddled.

Bringing the two folks with Ebola here is a one bad bad idea. "We can handle it." False bravado. Is this from the same group that was in the news recently with contamination at one of their labs? Lordy. I read about Ebola Zaire, 15 years ago. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Here we are 15 years later with a three location (and maybe more) outbreak. The implications for our world, society, the impact on the economy, I don't even want to think about it. It doesn't look good.

The CDC will take precautions to mitigate the dangers. This being said mitigating unnecessary dangers is quite unnecessary. Mother nature has proven many times in the past when humans become arrogant with the capabilities and knowledge of science and medicine she will throw mankind for a loop.

The CDC in Atlanta shouldnt have those patients. Too high a risk.

But the real risk, and possible impending crisis is the Air Travel in and out of the infected countries to the USA. This is a recipe for disaster. Or, a crisis to make sweeping change for the good of the sheeple, depending on ones view of the world.

After all, fewer people mean a lower "carbon footprint" right?

Last edited:
What i don't get is they say there is no cure, no vaccine, all they can do is keep them hydrated.
They cant keep them hydrated there? Lots of people being put at risk just so some scientist can have a look see. Why take the chance.

IMHO all flights and ships from that area should be halted from leaving or quarantined on the high seas and no planes allowed to land and disembark any passengers. Refueled and sent back.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
We are also bringing in 2 cases of Ebola...as well as continuing with the planned summit of African Leaders...some from Ebola infected countries. No one wants to panic or exaggerate the situation....but....

I will say it. Taking unnecessary risks is just stupid.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What i don't get is they say there is no cure, no vaccine, all they can do is keep them hydrated.
They cant keep them hydrated there? Lots of people being put at risk just so some scientist can have a look see. Why take the chance.

I have a nomination for the first post of month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

IMHO all flights and ships from that area should be halted from leaving or quarantined on the high seas and no planes allowed to land and disembark any passengers. Refueled and sent back.

X2.

The only solution to stop the spread is to stop the spread. Sitting back and seeing what happens is going to cause this to get worse.

Ebola was controlled the first time in the late 1970s because there was hardly any travel in and especially out of the affected area.

Now the affected area is larger, and travel is easier. Even with advancements in medical care, the problem is already worse than it was the first time.

And to make the situation worse, modern medicine does not fit with many traditional "healing" practices in Africa. Aid workers are being attacked. Many think that a "traditional healer" can do a better job than quarrantine and modern medical care.

This is a BAD situation, and needs to be treated as such. If this virus gets loose in the developed world, there will be MAJOR problems.

Not many treatment options, hydration,electrolytes, treat with anticoagulants early to prevent venous thrombosis, then in the later phase pro-coagulants in an attempt to control bleeding out.

Spasm,
Looking at your occupation, I'll ask a tough question. Whats the worst case scenario for USA fatalities if Ebola takes hold here?

Last edited:
Fatalities in usa would be limited due to good hygiene and socioeconomic issues preventing rapid spread. But, there would be a huge panic and economic damage.

Oh, im sorry. Too serious for you? Ok, lets keep it light. Back to your regularly scheduled reality show. Dancing with the stars and Happy Meals. Nothing to see here

Worst case I think we might be able to keep it under 3 million--1% of the population. Theres no cure. Modern medicine is great, until all hospitals are overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back