Air rifle oil

Picked up a couple of old Daisy BB guns from my wife’s late uncle. I remember wanting one in my youth, but I had to settle for shooting ones at summer camp or friends who had them. I’ve got a model 25 and a Red Ryder, don’t know a lot about them yet. Anyway, the pumps seem to be stuck. Found a Daisy manual for the model 25, and all it says is 20 weight motor oil, but not household oil. What’s recommended?

Back then, household oil was like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil or mineral oil.

They wanted motor oil to keep the glands swollen and to help seal to build and hold pressure

I wouldn't go thicker than 20 on an air gun

you would probably be OK with a regular air tool oil from HF ( top of my head recommendation)

I had a Crossman combination BB / Pellet rifle when I was a kid. Back then we used the same musical instrument oil that was used on slider intruments like trombones, and trumpets. It worked very well.

Picked up a couple of old Daisy BB guns from my wife’s late uncle. I remember wanting one in my youth, but I had to settle for shooting ones at summer camp or friends who had them. I’ve got a model 25 and a Red Ryder, don’t know a lot about them yet. Anyway, the pumps seem to be stuck. Found a Daisy manual for the model 25, and all it says is 20 weight motor oil, but not household oil. What’s recommended?
If the pump is stuck try soaking a few hours in kerosene. It has worked for me before but YMMV. I can tell you after they have been stuck the power is usually very much reduced for good. Good Luck

Lately I've used Pellgunoil made by Crosman in my pellet gun. Seems to help the seals. It was about $6 at Walmart. Comes in a small tube.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Gave a blast of WD-40 into the oil holes and the pumps freed up without a fuss. I’ll give the barrels a checkout and see if some of these suggestions do the trick.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Gave a blast of WD-40 into the oil holes and the pumps freed up without a fuss. I’ll give the barrels a checkout and see if some of these suggestions do the trick.
Use something to clean that WD-40 out soon. It will gum up, harden and ruin the action of your air rifle over time.

Good to know, I had a sneaking suspicion WD-40 might not be the most appropriate thing in the long term. I have found Youtube videos on servicing them though, so I'll try to get them cleaned up.

Off topic, but do BB guns typically show up at gun ranges? Never been to one, but looking into it it seems that there is an ordinance that prohibits discharging airguns, and their definition seems to include all BB guns. Glad I checked, lest I have my neighbors freak out and call the PD, but what's the scoop? That almost sounds comical, going to a shooting range with a Red Ryder.

I have 2 bb rifles, the first one has this on the side ( 1871NRA Centennial 1971) lever action side feed rifle.

the second one is a Double barrel shotgun Model number 21. they do not shoot at the moment...

Back