air leaks from valve too much when checking tire air pressure with gauge

Hello,

when i check the tire pressure with a tire gauge a lot of air leaks from the tire valve until the gauge finally reads the tire pressure. i changed the tire valve core and it stil leaks could it be the whole tire valve? these are tubeless tires.

Buy this:

I have bought 4. Makes a great gift. The lock on feature really works. No leaks. And precise filling if you have a compressor.

Better than Milton which used to be my favorite.

Just noticed it is currently unavailable. There are similar products. The key is the lock on connector. Check ratings and reviews.

Last edited:
funny thing the gauge only does that with one tire the other tires dont leak air when being measured

I have found some of the Chinese made valve stems are shaped a little differently and gauges do not seal well on them. I don't believe it was an issue with the gauge as I tried several and had the same issue.I had one that would not accept any air from my compressor but I was able to check the pressure with a gauge. Last time I got new tires, I told them to leave my existing stems in place as they were leak free.

I seen this happen many times on aluminum stems used on tpms sensors. The threaded part that the cap screws on to gets a crack in it, and when the core gets depressed from the gauge it leaks out the side of the stem.

I find it happens with them cheap digital gauges but they are worth having in my vehicles when away from home, at home I use this one without any issues.

These are cheap and accurate and if they get lost no biggie,

I got a Ryobi compressor 18V with a digital readout. You set it for the pressure you want, screw it on the tire valve, and when it get there it shuts off. Move it to the next tire and repeat process. EEZZYY PEEZY

If you look at a the old mechanical pencil type gauges there is a screw in the end so that you can adjust how far the gauge depresses the pin in the Schrader valve. Screwing it in will reduce the air loss when the gauge is applied to the valve.

ken5038460k.jpg

Ive seen valve stems with cracks in the threaded part(where cap sits). it wont leak until you try to put air in or check the air pressure.

If you look at a the old mechanical pencil type gauges there is a screw in the end so that you can adjust how far the gauge depresses the pin in the Schrader valve. Screwing it in will reduce the air loss when the gauge is applied to the valve.

View attachment 49988
That's what I like about this site. I learn something new every day.

I experience this on occasions depending on the valve fitted. Both on car & motorcycle.
To add to the confusion 2 out of my 3 pressure guages are sensitive to the valve!
Must be a physical construction mismatch but I just compensate for it; too expensive & too much hastle to rectify it.

I have a suspision the valve stem (being too long, too flexible or cracked at it's bast) could be the culprit:unsure:

I have several pencil type tire PSI gauges and one in particular has poor sealing but it is one of my most consistently accurate once I have a good connection(which I now have a handle/technique for). This one gauge in particular will bang off the same reading, push after push, time after time, on the valve stems, better than one of my other gauge which can show different readings with each continuous try. So I use the lesser reliable gauge on lesser important tires(like snow blower or wheel barrel tires).

Last edited:
I think the chinese valve stems are the issue too as these are chinese tires. I will get myers valve stems made in usa.

the milton accu-gage ra60x is the gauge i referenced before that was leaking when placed on valve stems,

which of these is a better tire aire pressure gauge:

1) Stanley dial gauge type probaby made in china : https://www.dwmx.mx/manometro-cuadrante-neumaticos-stanley-79-052

2) Rema Tip Top truck gauge made in usa : https://www.rematiptop.com/products/automotive/gauges/tire-pressure-gauges/truck-gauge-183.html

3) Epauto digital tire gauge made in china: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXRHRP5

cheers

jorge

Last edited:
Back