Air Intake

I got some new wheels...18' Accord Sport...and it came with Air Intake Filter Induction Set Pipe Power Flow Hose (I copied/pasted cause I don't really know what I'm talking about). Dealer that sold it didn't know a whole lot besides some noise and boost.

I know if give it a little rumble noise and little power(?)

So is there not a traditional air filter...how do they work, good, bad, maintenance on them?

Just. chattin here...looking for some advice.

Congrats on the new wheels by the way !!

I guess the theory is less restriction and more cold air it’s denser and you “might” get a little horsepower more. Can you can actually feel it I don’t believe you can.

Although the sounds of the intake makes the car faster in itself 😉

And for reference I also have put intakes and filters on my past cars, I have outgrow that stage of my life 😂 thankfully and only rock OEM intake set ups with OEM filters.

I care more about dirt capture efficiency now than the sound of the intake with the placebo effects of power

I know if give it a little rumble noise and little power(?)

So is there not a traditional air filter...how do they work, good, bad, maintenance on them?

They're just open-air filters so you get more sound compared to the stock black boxes that enclose the air intake filters. You probably notice the turbo sucking in air and BPV sound a lot more now. However, because they're completely open, they will suck in the hot air from the engine if there is no airflow into the engine. There's very little to no performance gain over stock if the diameter of the intake is the same. If the diameter of the intake changed and the car is not tuned for it (especially with a turbo'd car), expect the car to run slightly worse and lean.

What's the most significant air flow restriction on this engine's air intake? The intake hose, the air filter box, the throttle body? Is this just a larger intake hose or a ram air intake? Is this intake hose longer or shorter than the OE intake hose?

intake.jpg

I always liked these when younger. Now... the sound is nice only 10% of my drive, the rest of the time it's annoying. Just my feelings though, others feel differently.

The box around it looks to try to preserve cool air from the scoop, if it seals decently. Probably has a nice sound to it. I wouldn’t expect any real gains from it but as long as the filter is decent I wouldn’t have any issues with it either.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not sure how long I will 'like' the sound...kind of fun for now. I really drive pretty slow so I don't care about more zip.

Is there any maintenance and is it a big deal to change back to traditional box filter?

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not sure how long I will 'like' the sound...kind of fun for now. I really drive pretty slow so I don't care about more zip.

Is there any maintenance and is it a big deal to change back to traditional box filter?
The AEM dryflow filters are pretty maintenance free. Wash it from the inside out with some Simple Green and hot water in the sink every 50k and let it dry.

Stock stuff should swap right in. If you join a local Honda group someone would probably trade you straight up.

AEM charges $450 for that system, FYI.

Back