Air Force Just Shot Something Down in Alaskan Air Space - 2/10/2023

You forget about the inconvenient truth that they are so "interested" in the thing that there is a huge $$$$$# recovery going on and they are having great difficulty bc its IN THE OCEAN. So again why did they not shoot it down in Montana when the worst that could happen is that it would hit a cow. And that's a reach. Take one look at Gen. Milley ( Afghanistan??) and you have your answer.

My renter's insurance doesn't cover falling satellites.

If one truly wants to understand what is likely going on- one may want to read from cover to cover "The Art of War- Sun Tzu's Military Method". This book is widely available for free in PDF format on-line. It is also a great book for some who wants to "win" at business, etc.

The Art of War remains the most influential strategy text in East Asian warfare and has influenced both Far Eastern and Western military thinking.
One of many applicable to the current environment principles from the book:

Deception

The goal of any conflict is to control your opponent and overcome them. Controlling their beliefs about your abilities helps you understand their assumptions and plan a strategy accordingly. As a well-known translation of Sun Tzu puts it, “all warfare is based on deception.”

Continue to find ways to anger and irritate your opponent, for decisions made out of anger are often petulant and rash, which can lead to advantages for you.
Once you notice that your opponent is riled up or angry, back off to give them the delusion of superiority or success. They may become arrogant or lax in their judgment, from which carelessness extends.

If the enemy deems that you are no longer a threat, they will underestimate you or dismiss you as an opponent.
This arrogance creates the perfect environment for you to successfully attack them.

Since no strategy is complete without assessing the enemy, one of the most important aspects of any conflict is the use of spies.

Send someone to infiltrate the enemy’s ranks to create discord. These spies can create rifts between the soldiers and leaders or among individual ranks through false information.

Shooting it down over the ocean was the right thing to do.
Maybe, but not the Atlantic Ocean! Say the Northern Pacific before it reaches the Aleutian Islands and before it reaches mainland North America and meanders over the entire North American continent but certainly before it reaches the Atlantic Ocean. Did Norad do its job? I think not!

Maybe, but not the Atlantic Ocean! Say the Northern Pacific before it reaches the Aleutian Islands and before it reaches mainland North America and meanders over the entire North American continent but certainly before it reaches the Atlantic Ocean. Did Norad do its job? I think not!
That’s Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Big time.

Weather balloons, legit weather balloons, transit the globe all the time.

You can’t be trigger-happy on every unknown target. Just like you wouldn’t shoot at a deer until you were certain it was a deer; targets have to be identified before you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Regarding the balloons... We produce in huge numbers as contractor boards for weather balloon sondes. https://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/rs41.htm
It runs on 2 AA batteries, palm sized. And is assembled into styrofoam cover. Manually or in automatic station it gets helium balloon tied, and measures temp, humidity, pressure.... with gps coordinates data sent to ground realtime. https://www.vaisala.com/en/products/weather-environmental-sensors/upper-air-radiosondes-rs41
It's meant to burst balloon and fall, in strong winds it may be 300km or more away from release..

Last edited:
The water near Alaska is far colder, with ice cover, and far far deeper than it is near the Carolina’s. Water depth near Alaska where they’d have shot it down is between 150 and 18,000ft deep, in contrast to the 35-45ft where it was shot down. They deemed it more important to learn what it is exactly and how they’re collecting data than it is to simply blow it out of the sky, especially since we can relatively easily jam any signals it tried to send back home.

Shooting it down over land is also problematic for recovery… while a water landing from 60,000ft isn’t the most comfortable thing, it’s still far softer of a landing than slamming into the ground at terminal velocity.

You’ve clearly never been to Montana, nor have you ever shot something down.

Your risk analysis is superficial and specious.

Shooting it down over the ocean was the right thing to do.
Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, Alaska. coast off Alaska. Google the path and then go to GoogleMaps. You have got to know it was FINALLY shot down bc American Citizens were showing great anger. And of course by the time it got to Missouri/Illinois there was slight risk.

Don't tell me Norad did not track it before it got Alaska. Government agencies are mired in incompetence. This certainly includes the military. And our Military (I hope) is starting to figure out that thousands of drones vs the cost of one fixed wing aircraft makes absolute sense. Ukraine has proven that. I won't see it, but you may see the day where the Aircraft Carrier (Cost 10, billion and 1 Billion per year to operate) becomes the WWII Battleship. As I have said in the past. But I digress.

That’s Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Big time.

Weather balloons, legit weather balloons, transit the globe all the time.

You can’t be trigger-happy on every unknown target. Just like you wouldn’t shoot at a deer until you were certain it was a deer; targets have to be identified before you pull the trigger.
Of course it’s Monday morning quarterbacking, we’re on the 5th page and multiple threads of Monday morning quarterbacking on this subject! A typical weather balloon is about 6 feet in diameter and expands to around 20 feet at height. The balloon that was allowed to meander over N. America for a full week was 200 feet tall and according to news reports and the military, had a guidance and propulsion system. Two other much smaller and most likely legitimate weather balloons have since been shot down over land and their recovery is under way. The Navy is still salvaging the first balloon off the S.C. coast 8 days later. What is that costing as opposed to picking up pieces of easily identifiable debris in the middle of nowhere on land or as the press called it over “frozen water” ….aka ice? After almost two weeks does anyone think we might have made a mistake on the first “weather” balloon and might have changed our approach? Norad and several militaries dropped the ball on the first one and seem to be changing their approach to the following 2 balloons. I’ll bet the farm another one doesn’t transit the N.A. continent anytime soon!

NORAD too busy playing games on the cell phones.
How many hundreds of these pseudo weather balloons have floated across the USA spying on everything in the past decade? Now, its a problem!

They are shooting down UFO's too.

I guess covid got boring. Need a new scare fear tactic to control the flock. ̶Red coats nazis commies alqueada taliban Russia aliens are coming. Aliens are coming. Aliens are coming. Be afraid, very afraid. How many movies had alien invasions? alien enemies?

Gotta run. Need to battle the boogeyman under the bed and monster in the closet. Most are controlled by fear since birth.

How many hundreds of these pseudo weather balloons have floated across the USA spying on everything in the past decade? Now, its a problem!

I guess covid got boring. Need a new scare fear tactic to control the flock. ̶Red coats nazis commies alqueada taliban Russia aliens are coming. Aliens are coming. Aliens are coming. Be afraid, very afraid. How many movies had alien invasions? alien enemies?

Gotta run. Need to battle the boogeyman under the bed and monster in the closet. Most are controlled by fear since birth.
Best reply of the entire thread! ☝️

Crisis, What Crisis.

A7FDCBBD-0D30-4685-95E5-F6D36906F765.jpeg
F5572299-9504-4AEF-B869-3946EAE98606.jpg

That would have been the smarter thing to do from day one. Now it appears we're trying to save face.

Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, Alaska. coast off Alaska. Google the path and then go to GoogleMaps. You have got to know it was FINALLY shot down bc American Citizens were showing great anger. And of course by the time it got to Missouri/Illinois there was slight risk.

Don't tell me Norad did not track it before it got Alaska. Government agencies are mired in incompetence. This certainly includes the military. And our Military (I hope) is starting to figure out that thousands of drones vs the cost of one fixed wing aircraft makes absolute sense. Ukraine has proven that. I won't see it, but you may see the day where the Aircraft Carrier (Cost 10, billion and 1 Billion per year to operate) becomes the WWII Battleship. As I have said in the past. But I digress.
I see.

You’re way off in several respects.

Cardinal rule of shooting guns - be sure of your target and what’s behind it.

You’re advocating shooting guns without being sure of where the bullets, or the target, will land.

Like shooting blind without a backstop. An egregious failure of risk assessment.

But hey, as long as it’s Montana, not Pennsylvania, it’s cool to just blast away and hope everything works out, right?

That’s cool on the firing range, too, right? No need to be sure of your target or what’s beyond it.

I’ve shot 20mm at aerial targets. Live ammo. Range safety matters. We were certain of our target and the backstop. I was the Range Safety Officer (airborne).

The rest?

Armchair general…

Thank you! *LOL*
Hopefully was can keep politics out of this but think that is failing already. An object was shot down, no one said where it came from.
What oil was it using? If these are Aliens maybe they know a good oil they can recommend to us..... unless they want to open and operate some "service station" style shops for their people who apparently been and keep crashing into the 3rd rock.:alien:

I see.

You’re advocating shooting guns without being sure of where the bullets, or the target, will land.

Like shooting blind without a backstop. An egregious failure of risk assessment.

But hey, as long as it’s Montana, not Pennsylvania, it’s cool to just blast away and hope everything works out, right?

That’s cool on the firing range, too, right? No need to be sure of your target or what’s beyond it.

I’ve shot 20mm at aerial targets. Live ammo. Range safety matters. We were certain of our target and the backstop. I was the Range Safety Officer (airborne).

The rest?

Armchair general…
I agree 100% with everything you said. But, at least now they aren't letting them cross the country and dropping them in the Atlantic.

I see.

So you a re saying NORAD can not identify a non-weather balloon in its 10,000 mile trip from off the coast of Alaska till it left the Carolinas?

I would have thought our military was not that incompetant that they can't bring down a balloon safely in a 10,000 mile path. Think about what you just said.
See above-scary

Apparently you have zero conficence in our military. Perhaps you are on to something

The rest?

Armchair general…
Nothing more I can say. I just hope we are not as incompetent as you imply

Back