Air Force Just Shot Something Down in Alaskan Air Space - 2/10/2023

Lets not identify something before shooting it down?

Hopefully it wasn't an airliner, small plane/helicopter, flying car, or the balloons the grandkids released after the birthday party.

Airforce pilot released photo of craft
Alaskanpressrelease.jpg

OK, you’re wrong…that’s a depiction of “Tomorrow is Yesterday”, episode 19 of season 1, in which the Enterprise is thrown back in time by an encounter with a “dark star” and ends up in Earth’s atmosphere, where it appears on radar as a UFO, and is intercepted by an F-104.

The crew rescues the pilot, detaining him to avoid disclosing information about the starship, and beams down to the Air Force base to destroy to film footage of the intercept. They later realize they have to return the pilot (whose son will play an important role in space exploration in the future) in order to avoid changing history.

It was the first episode that dealt with time travel.

Might have been the first unintentional intentional case of time travel in the series. There was an unintentional case where a planet implosion caused them to go back a few days. I think that ended where Spock said that they could use the data to figure out how to intentionally time travel.

Last edited:
Not a lot of coverage or information released on this one. Yesterday it was even buried pretty far down most of the large news sites. Curious thing for sure.

Might have been the first unintentional case of time travel in the series. There was an unintentional case where a planet implosion caused them to go back a few days. I think that ended where Spock said that they could use the data to figure out how to intentionally time travel.

Fair enough.

Tomorrow is Yesterday is the first episode in which time travel was central to the plot.

Time travel was ancillary in the Naked Time. A twist at the end as a consequence of mixing matter and antimatter cold.

I am at a complete loss to understand the logic of our military in this effort. If I were President, heads would roll big time. What WERE they thinking???

Everyone is a defense expert now.
BUT everybody is obviously better than those who shot it down bc of national outrage. Kind of an admission that american citizens ARE more expert.

Does anyone else wonder why it is that they are using $100k missiles to shoot these balloons down instead of poking a few holes in them with a few much cheaper bullets and letting the balloons deflate and come down gently and more intact (even over water), or is it just me who thinks that this is extreme overkill?

Does anyone else wonder why it is that they are using $100k missiles to shoot these balloons down instead of poking a few holes in them with a few much cheaper bullets and letting the balloons deflate and come down gently and more intact (even over water), or is it just me who thinks that this is extreme overkill?
Tell me again how much time you’ve got in air to air gunnery…

I explained why in a previous thread.

It’s not as simple as you make it out to be.

I asked a similar question,as it was explained, the altitude was too high for the first balloon. Dont know enough about the second event yet.

Does anyone else wonder why it is that they are using $100k missiles to shoot these balloons down instead of poking a few holes in them with a few much cheaper bullets
Because the military knows for a fact that "poking a few holes" in these balloons doesn't work. The missiles cost over $300k too, not $100k.

Reactions: hrv
Tell me again how much time you’ve got in air to air gunnery…

I explained why in a previous thread.

It’s not as simple as you make it out to be.
I didn't see the other thread, sorry.
I did do a Google search to see if I could find anything that would prevent a 20mm-30mm gun from being used at 40k+ feet. I didn't find anything.

Last edited:
They tried that before does not work

Canadian CF-18 fighter jet pilots caught up with the balloon off the coast of Newfoundland and took aim, firing more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition at it.

But the balloon survived the assault, soldiering on over the North Atlantic.

Fair enough.

Tomorrow is Yesterday is the first episode in which time travel was central to the plot.

Time travel was ancillary in the Naked Time. A twist at the end as a consequence of mixing matter and antimatter cold.

Probably best not to go down that rabbit hole of Star Trek trivia.

I did do a Google search to see if I could find anything that would prevent a 20mm-30mm gun from being used at 40k feet
The A10 can't fly that high (A10 ammunition and the frequent necessary barrel replacement is not cheap either). Fighter planes are no longer equipped with a machine gun at all, as air to air combat is based on missiles.

In WW1 the Germans bombed London from airships. The British found that machine gun fire was almost completely ineffective against them. The kill rate improved some by using incendary rounds which ignite the hydrogen in the airship, but these balloons are probably filled with helium.

There is likely to be R&D for specific anti-balloon weapons soon.

Last edited:
And you can be certain that every minute detail about this was shared by Canadian military with their US counterparts, just as a professional courtesy. The Brits tried to shoot it down as well and were unsuccessful.

I didn't see the other thread, sorry.
The other thread isn't the definitive answer. As has been explained, the military kinda knows what they're doing when it comes to certain situations. All of the armchair, Monday-morning quarterbacking just gets silly.... They could have shot it down over land if it was deemed that critical. They said they were jamming outgoing communication from the balloon at that point so waiting until it was over water was the best idea. In fact, the president told them to shoot it down on Wednesday when it was safe to do so and they waited....

Not sure how an engineer can model the debris landing coordinates without fully ending flight capability at shot impact …

Back