Air Force Just Shot Something Down in Alaskan Air Space - 2/10/2023

I guess we will find out what it is shortly. It was something small according to the report below.

""I can confirm that the Department of Defense was tracking a high altitude object over Alaska airspace in the last 24 hours. The object was flying at an altitude of 40,000 feet and posed a reasonable threat to the safety of civilian flight. Out of an abundance of caution and the recommendation of the Pentagon, President Biden ordered the military to down the object. And they did. And it came in inside our territorial waters," Kirby said.""

mars-attacks.gif

I was thinking of a few things before one of the previous topics got locked due to political discussion.

I was just thinking of how the balloon got shot down and the mechanics/technology. It was shot down with an AIM-9X Sidewinder, which is an infrared guided missile. I remember for days there were "experts" claiming that a balloon wouldn't be hot enough, but it was my understanding that it's really more of an imaging system but using infrared rather than visible spectrum, where it locks based on a target and not just on the hottest thing that in front of the sensor.

Back