Air filter guidance? Cone-type, MAX filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at options for cone/"round tapered" type air filters. Not sure what the size is, but I know filtration is the most important thing, and flow rates are secondary. Last time I looked at this, I ended up liking Amsoil's EaAU filters, but that was years ago.

If anyone has any suggestions on brand or product line, please feel free to post up regardless of sizing; there may be some wiggle room on that anyway. Anything helps!

Fram Tough Guard with the yellow paper media.

If you have room, you can do an industrial canister-style from Nelson or Donaldson.

With Primary AND secondary filter elements, They pretty much filter out EVERYTHING!!

Airflow is no problem if sized right.

If you can't fit a Donaldson in the available space, Honda fit a dry paper cone to their S2000 as original equipment. They're cheap, too.

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you can't fit a Donaldson in the available space, Honda fit a dry paper cone to their S2000 as original equipment. They're cheap, too.

That's a heck of an idea.

Thanks a bunch for the input, guys!

So we got the dimensions of the filters on the car now, and they're... constraining.

Inlet ID: 4.5"
Base diameter: 6"
Overall length: 5.75"
Top diameter: 4.5"

There's basically no room around them, so that's about as big as they can get.

Looks like the PowerCore and Amsoil EaAU catalogs don't have anything that'd fit. Don't think the S2000 one will, either. Volant's oiled filter line has one that works; we'd just prefer something dry.

Again, really appreciate the input. Any further suggestions would be appreciated!

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out how to search FRAM's catalog for a specific size. Any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

Napa has tons of clamp on filters available... most are straight cylinder, not tapered cone, though.

S2000 cone dimensions:
Length 296mm
OD 189mm
Neck 80mm

Shame it won't fit, although you could relocate with some tube and some bends..

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

We ended up having to go with something from aFe's catalog, with the Pro Dry S filter media. Turns out this was the only way to get a decent dry filter for the sizing we're working with.

aFe says the Pro Dry S "flows up to 10-15% less" than their Pro 5R, which is oiled. Not sure if this is based on CFM or pressure drop or what, but it seems significant. Fortunately, we'll have two of these filters on an application that's likely putting out no more than 350 hp. Hoping there's enough airflow not to cause a noticeable power loss.

Again, thanks for your help. Learned a lot about what's out there.
cheers3.gif

These guys will make custom sized filters and they use the best media I have found:

http://www.r2cperformance.com/

Their experience is based on their previous jobs engineering filtration for military equipment.

Email them if you want the media filtration specs. They are a great group to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back