Air Filer and Engine Oil connection

I am exceeding around 8000kms on my Engine Air filter ( Original Honda) change... Maintenance schedule says change at 48000 kms interval . I am at 56000 kms . Car has 183000 kms on odo.

I just changed to the bext oil and oil filter I can put on my car ( Mobil1 EP 0W20 and Fram Ultra XG 7317)
Not changing the Engine Air filter - Does it somehow impact the quality of Engine OIl inside the engine. Like bad air entering the system will make the oil do more hard work to clean or anything like that.

Car has no performance issue as such.

I am thinking to change the Engine Air filter too but was just curious if there is any connection.

Thanks

Not really. But what are you trying to accomplish?

Wait, I see you are a believer in once a year OCI.
I understand.
grin.gif

You'll see silicon in a UOA if you're having air intake issues. I ran with no filter for a few months and Blackstone recommended I check for leaks in the intake system

One study that I read a few years ago actually stated that air filtration can improve with age! I know most people don't want to hear this, but that was the result of the study.
On the performance end of that, the study stated NO degradation of performance OR fuel economy was observed.

Leaking or no filter can be seen as harmful to the engine. The Mercedes I had actually had double filtration on the intake, but as far as this study went, older filters don't pose much of a problem.

Originally Posted by asker123
I just changed to the best oil and oil filter I can put on my car ( Mobil1 EP 0W20 and Fram Ultra XG 7317)
Not changing the Engine Air filter - Does it somehow impact the quality of Engine OIl inside the engine. Like bad air entering the system will make the oil do more hard work to clean or anything like that.

You don't want to run an air filter a ridiculously long time, because if it does get too clogged up it will eventually impact engine performance (higher restriction mostly at WOT), and might also have a slight chance of damaging the media (then leaks dirt by) if it's weak media and can't take much delta-p (much less likely in air filters vs oil filters).

Originally Posted by JohnG
One study that I read a few years ago actually stated that air filtration can improve with age! I know most people don't want to hear this, but that was the result of the study. On the performance end of that, the study stated NO degradation of performance OR fuel economy was observed.

Mostly true if not driving around like a race car. But at WOT there will always be an impact to performance as the air filter becomes more restrictive. People that cruise around with a clogged up air filter aren't going to be able to tell if they hardly ever get into the throttle much at all, except if maybe they're driving an old car with a carburetor (ie, fixed A/F jetting). Fuel injected computer controlled cars will adjust to a dirty air filter, but will still be effected at WOT.

Thank you every one. Just bought one. Will put in over the week end and call it a day ( for anther 48000 kms)
Such a PITA to put it in Honda Accord Why didnt they make it simple to put.. If you do not remove the entire housing and the tube that goes from filter to engine, you need to pull it very hard from the side and it is tough to change.
Anyways.. I will change it . 20 bucks Canadian and some elbow grease.

Back