Air conditioning freon

Thanks guys for the wealth of knowledge. I was just curious and you guys provided me with some great info.

Hopefully I don't need to do this, but when the time comes I'll get a small shop to do Ac work.

Yup, the 30lb r134a tanks have tripled in price the last couple of years.
That is why I'm glad that I have two full 30lb tanks of it and one partial. That should last me practically forever for my own vehicles and for some family. I also have about a half full 50lb tank of R12 that I use for my one 92 Cavalier that still uses it.

Hello,

I have a general question regarding AC freon. My AC in my 05 CRV is cold as ice with the new condenser fan. I am in no need of a refill.

I've seen some of those AC in a can refill, some good reviews on amazon. Noob/dumb question, What is the main difference btwn those refill cans vs. going to the dealership/small shops besides price?
The correct way to recharge a system is to have it evacuated if it still has some refrigerant in it and then fix whatever is wrong and then vacuum the system down and then recharge to factory specs with the correct amount of refrigerant using a gauge set that has low and high sides. Trying to use the cans makes it hard to get the exact amount in and the installing and removing the hoses between cans can allow air into the system if you are not careful. I'm just a DIY'er who used to use the cans and got tired of messing with them so I bought a refrigerant scale for the 30lb tanks and bought a couple of those tanks so that I can install the correct amount of refrigerant into the system without removing hoses. The scale allows me to program the correct amount to put in and makes things so much easier. The number of vehicles in our family made it easy to justify the expense of the scale and tanks. I've also done quite a few of my friend's vehicles as well.

Where did you see that? Ozone depletion was not a concern back in the late 20s. Besides there are no "free ions" in the R12 molecule, what "extra atom" are you referring to?
The whole r-12 ban was a total scam. junk science to roll out crappy patented refrigerants that help with designed obselence

How does that happen when refrigerant is heavier than air?
Ozone is also heavier than air. But yeah, in stagnant air it’ll settle and wouldn’t cause any issues, except the atmosphere isn’t stagnant and air from the troposphere has no issues getting up to the stratosphere.

Back