Air conditioner corrosion

I have a big 15,000 BTU window AC I install about this time each year. I noticed that the copper tubing at the bottom inch of the condensor is green and the (aluminum?) fin block has some white dust like powder coming off it. The unit is designed so that the condensor is sitting in the condensate water to aid cooling. Would it be prudent to coat the bottom inch of the condensor in something to reduce corrosion?

FYI: They do make a cleaner that is meant to be used on the coils of the whole house units, but I have used it on a dirty window condenser before. I had mud wasp crap and dirt in the fins and the condensate pan was moldy. It will most likely do nothing for the corrosion you have. It's a foam spray that you rinse off with a hose. Spray the foam in the cooling fins and drip tray, rinse it out with garden hose. Maybe repeat a couple times until fin passages are clear of blockages. The whole can would be enough for maybe 7 applications for a window unit.

https://www.amazon.com/SAFE-Foaming-Coil-Cleaner-19/dp/B007I7KZN0

Re-reading your post, are you saying you have the white powder (aluminum corrosion) in-between the cooling fins? If so, clean it with the foam. You could use soap like dawn too if you'd like.

I have a big 15,000 BTU window AC I install about this time each year. I noticed that the copper tubing at the bottom inch of the condensor is green and the (aluminum?) fin block has some white dust like powder coming off it. The unit is designed so that the condensor is sitting in the condensate water to aid cooling. Would it be prudent to coat the bottom inch of the condensor in something to reduce corrosion?
As hank said leave all alone. If it were intended to be coated it would have came that way

Have u ever looked at the condenser blade side to see if its dirty. If it is wrap the motor in plastic to wash the coil then let it dry before putting back together.

Back