Air conditioner charged properly, compressor running, still blows hot air

Also, should I have any other AC components replaced/looked at?

The compressor I found is pre-oiled. Do I need to add any more oil? Total capacity is 8 oz, but the compressor only holds 3 oz.

The oil is a big issue here. The system sat open for months. This will let the oil absorb water (unlike petroleum oil, PAG is completely miscible with water) and the drier will be saturated with water. The drier is usually built into the condenser in late models. Also someone has added more oil. Waterlogged oil is of course bad, and too much oil is bad. So at this point the system really should be torn down and all old oil flushed out then replace with the proper amount of oil and new drier. Bottom line is if you try to get away with a simple compressor slap (and add oil, or not) you're likely to have a Bad Time.

I bought a new bag of desiccant-it's supposed to be replaceable. Will vacuuming the system not be enough?

*Update* After cleaning, oiling, and recharging the system, still nothing from the compressor. Why the compressor failed-I'm not sure. Maybe it was on its way out anyway, maybe it was from the system being opened so long, maybe it was run dry (won't turn on unless there's pressure, but there was no oil either, it had leaked out.) Had the 12 year old compressor replaced, everything cleaned out, new dryer (old one was hideous) and all is well. The car runs much smoother than before with the new compressor engaged. Also, I've only had the car for a year and my brother suspected the the previous owner had the A/C charged in order to sell the thing. There had always been an oil stain under the compressor, so there's no telling what had been done to the car in the 11 years prior. Anyway, it's ice cold now and I got out of the entire ordeal for $600.

When charging was the can upside down charging into suction line? Compressors are not design to pump liquid refrigerant. Charge should be weighed in. Liquid in hi side coming out of vacuum engine off after pressure equalizes start engine finish with vapor. Compressor, compressor oil, condenser, drier and expansion device all parts needed now because compressor was destroyed instantaneously.

Back