Air conditioner charged properly, compressor running, still blows hot air

There is no compressor relay for an electronically controlled variable compressor. The computer drives the compressor solenoid directly.

Also as noted before, there is no electric clutch. Though there is often a one-time mechanical clutch designed to break free if the compressor seizes up. That prevents the serpentine belt from breaking which would disable the whole car.

Does the AC button to engage the compressor have an LED on it? If so, is it blinking or on steady when engaged?
It's on like it's supposed to be.
Well, apparently it isn't or the high side would be going up and the low side would be dropping. Idle increasing is probably just a normal reaction by the ECU to bump idle when a call for A/C has been made.
When I charged the system from empty, nothing happened until it built up some pressure. Then it seemed to start working as I mentioned before. Could that still just be the ECU reaction?

I'm hoping your friend undid what charging you did and used the machine to pull down to vacuum (which is essential if the system has been opened) then install the proper amount of refrigerant by weight. Then he would start the engine to see if it works.

It seems unlikely but there may be a lockout that needs to be reset after it has been run empty. Since this started, has anyone scanned for A/C codes or disconnected the battery to reset the computer?

I'm hoping your friend undid what charging you did and used the machine to pull down to vacuum (which is essential if the system has been opened) then install the proper amount of refrigerant by weight. Then he would start the engine to see if it works.

It seems unlikely but there may be a lockout that needs to be reset after it has been run empty. Since this started, has anyone scanned for A/C codes or disconnected the battery to reset the computer?
Yes it was vacuumed and charged correctly by weight most recently. I'll try disconnecting the battery . There are no trouble codes that I can see with my basic OBD scanner.

I took it to my guy. He said it's "kinda" working and may just need oil (which I nor anyone else ever added). He's doing a full evacuation and charge with the proper oil. Said it should take about 2 hours. Fingers crossed.

Well, I need a new compressor. OEM, aftermarket, any suggestions?

I can't find the valve anywhere but Ebay and I'm having trouble confirming fitment.

I'm not sure why the compressor needs to be replaced after some engine work was performed, if it was okay before. Something's not adding up here.

I'm not sure why the compressor needs to be replaced after some engine work was performed, if it was okay before. Something's not adding up here.
I can't think of anything else. Maybe it was on it's way out anyway. Maybe because it was run dry without refrigerant and/or oil. It is 12-13 years old.

I'm also trying to find which compressor even fits. I'm finding a mix of AC Delco/Denso/one fits/both fit. I would think Denso since it's a Toyota engine, but Rockauto and other reputable (not Amazon) places say it doesn't fit.

It looks like the aftermarket ones all fit both Toyota and Pontiac. It could be like the time Amazon told me a toyota oil filter wouldn't fit my car either. Anyone know if the air conditioning system is different on a Pontiac Vibe v. Toyota Matrix with the same engine?

My A/C stopped working too recently but with mine, I noticed traces of oil laced with dye in tandem with more frequent on/off compressor cycling which lead to my compressor knocking so there were indicators. I disconnected it as soon as I got home to prevent total grenading and the car is too old to invest (2007) at this point anyways.

My A/C stopped working too recently but with mine, I noticed traces of oil laced with dye in tandem with more frequent on/off compressor cycling which lead to my compressor knocking so there were indicators. I disconnected it as soon as I got home to prevent total grenading and the car is too old to invest (2007) at this point anyways.
07 too old to fix? I spent the last 3 decades fixing cars much older.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, there is some oil spillage right under the compressor and my brother thought it was leaking, though it held vacuum when I tested it. The AC also wasn't very cold as I recall.

Back