Air compressor and generator oil

If it's a gasoline-powered compressor, then yes, it can go in the engine. If you're talking about lubricating oil for the compressor pump, then no, that takes non-detergent compressor oil.

Since you are only talking about one QT of compressor oil, I would get the right stuff. Cost should not an issue. I just changed the oil in my compressor this year after 25 years of infrequent use. The next oil change will come due when I am 86 if I keep to the same schedule.

I use 10w30 syn in my air compressor. Most call for regular 30wt or 10w30 now. The 5w40 should work fine but may use more due to the 5wt.

If I recall correctly, My Campbell Hausfeld compressor specifies Mobil 1. I keep it in an unheated garage and at cold temps, the factory oil made the compressor sluggish. I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and it's much better for start up when real cold.

My 20 year old Emglo came with and I still have a partial quart of their 20 weight compressor oil. I've used 5W-30 and it ran ok, a bit more sluggish and ran bit hotter. I tried 5W-50 briefly, before the 5W-30 and it ran real sluggish and hot. I went back to the Emglo 20 weight ND oil and it's happiest. Whimsey

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Hey folks, my generator uses Rotella T6 5w-40. Would that work in a new 8 gallon air compressor I just bought? Or do I need something different?
is this a gas engine on the compressor or the compressor oil?

I use Mobil 1, 15W-50 in my compressors. It works perfectly. In fact my portable Porter Cable compressor specifically stated "double life" if M1 15W-50 was used after break in. I've also seen a number of new compressors stating that conventional 10W-30 motor oil is recommended.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
If I recall correctly, My Campbell Hausfeld compressor specifies Mobil 1. I keep it in an unheated garage and at cold temps, the factory oil made the compressor sluggish. I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and it's much better for start up when real cold.
Mine as well.