Air Bag

Great, another airbag recall. My '04 Odyssey was at the dealer about 6 times for airbag recall work. Shortly after the last time the airbag clock spring started making noises and ABS light would come on occasionally. Coincidence? I think not.

Great, another airbag recall. My '04 Odyssey was at the dealer about 6 times for airbag recall work. Shortly after the last time the airbag clock spring started making noises and ABS light would come on occasionally. Coincidence? I think not.
That's what's keeping me from replacing the passenger side only airbag on my 2012 Yaris sedan. I'm afraid the dealership will do more harm than good. Toyota has sent me numerous emails and also notices to my home. What I've heard is that if you live in a so called high risk part of the country, high humidity, say Florida, the air bag contents have much more chance of being dangerous and exploding. Is it worth going to see the boneheads at the dealer or just leave well enough alone? According to a map showing the different risk areas, my part of the country has the second lowest risk factor.

In my limited dealings with airbag removal and replacement (changed a steering wheel), I figured out that anyone who could screw that job up shouldn't be allowed near a wrench. Not very difficult at all..

Volvo replaced the airbag on the 2002 XC. Free of charge. Looks great. The other three wagons in my signature are under the same recall and I am working on scheduling the recall appointment.

Great support by Volvo for a 20 year old car.

What other company recalls and fixes cars that are 20 years old?

That's what's keeping me from replacing the passenger side only airbag on my 2012 Yaris sedan. I'm afraid the dealership will do more harm than good. Toyota has sent me numerous emails and also notices to my home. What I've heard is that if you live in a so called high risk part of the country, high humidity, say Florida, the air bag contents have much more chance of being dangerous and exploding. Is it worth going to see the boneheads at the dealer or just leave well enough alone? According to a map showing the different risk areas, my part of the country has the second lowest risk factor.
While I also have a distain for clumsy dealer work
...how much do you value your sight? 👁️
...how much do you value your face? 🤯

I had to pretty much steal my friend/neighbors RAV4 from him, to take it in for the drivers inflator
Toyotas been sending him FedEx mailers, legal sized cards/flyers almost WEEKLY
This went on for 5+ years
His wife agreed, someone drove him to work, I ran it to the dealer
He was mildly pissed, but 2 weeks later when someone blew a light and they scuffed the front bumper (and ran), he saw the light if you will, and I got a disgruntled thank you

Pretty hard to let anyone work on the car unnecessarily. I mean there's been recalls on the recalls. If I can't trust them for an oil change how can I possibly trust them to dismantle the dash, only to possibly install another faulty airbag. If I lived in a high humidity high risk area then I may reconsider.

Pretty hard to let anyone work on the car unnecessarily. I mean there's been recalls on the recalls. If I can't trust them for an oil change how can I possibly trust them to dismantle the dash, only to possibly install another faulty airbag. If I lived in a high humidity high risk area then I may reconsider.
Definitely worth replacing. Shrapnel in your eye or not having a deployment when you need it is not worth it. Who ever is doing the work has probably done this dozens of times. Some dealers have recall guys so even better plus the SRS computer usually needs to be reset which is a dealer operation.

While I also have a distain for clumsy dealer work
...how much do you value your sight? 👁️
...how much do you value your face? 🤯

I had to pretty much steal my friend/neighbors RAV4 from him, to take it in for the drivers inflator
Toyotas been sending him FedEx mailers, legal sized cards/flyers almost WEEKLY
This went on for 5+ years
His wife agreed, someone drove him to work, I ran it to the dealer
He was mildly pissed, but 2 weeks later when someone blew a light and they scuffed the front bumper (and ran), he saw the light if you will, and I got a disgruntled thank you
It's the Passenger air bag.

So it's how much do you value your passenger's sight?
How much do you value your passenger's face?

But maybe the passenger would sue because he didn't do the recall so he should probably do the recall. This is like people who won't wear seatbelts because they hear of a few stories where the seat belt ends up killing you but ignores the 99% other times when it might save you.

Back