Ahhhh... that feels better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumped the Mobil 7500 at 3500 miles and went back to the Golden Elixir of Goodness v.M05 today. Hated paying $5.00/qt at VatoZone but what are ya gonna do? The best things in life come at a price, don't they?

From now on, its GC for me and my 5.3

I feel soooo much better.
gr_stretch.gif

It was OK but increased the cold start knock compared to other oils I've used (Chev Supreme as well as GC).

I'm sure it's a good oil but perhaps not for the Vortec V8's and their CSK issues.

My engine is noticeably quieter during AM startup with GC in the crankcase. A good friend with a 5.3L Tahoe noticed the same thing when he switched from M1 to GC.

I happened to change the oil in two cars on the same cold winter day. One got GC, the other got Citgo dino 5w30. I was amazed at how much better the Citgo flowed, the GC was "thick". The temp was maybe 15F.
grin.gif

quote:

I'm sure it's a good oil but perhaps not for the Vortec V8's and their CSK issues.

Bretfraz - I've settled in on a 12 cSt dino oil with an HTHS of 3.5 & higher plus Napa Gold filters as the best solution for CSK in a 5.3 Silverado. As long as I allow the engine to warm up for 60 seconds during the morning cold-start, no CSK/piston slap is evident.

GC fits the model at 12.1 cSt & HTHS of 3.5 and I'm sure, based on the positive reports from LS1 ownwers, it is a good oil for this series of engines.

Bob - GC is actually thicker, 12.1 cSt vs 10.5 cSt, than M1 10W-30 EP till the temperature gets below 20-30 degrees F.

Remember, the 0W-30 viscosity designation is only defining the viscosity at -35C and at 100C per the SAE J300 chart.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

quote:

Bretfraz - I've settled in on a 12 cSt dino oil with an HTHS of 3.5 & higher plus Napa Gold filters as the best solution for CSK in a 5.3 Silverado. As long as I allow the engine to warm up for 60 seconds during the morning cold-start, no CSK/piston slap is evident.

GC fits the model at 12.1 cSt & HTHS of 3.5 and I'm sure, based on the positive reports from LS1 ownwers, it is a good oil for this series of engines..

This is exactly what I'm doing. Prior to the Mobil I was running a NAPA Gold 1522 with GC and I've gone back to that combo.

I'll using LC in this run and hope to push the OCI to 8000, maybe 10,000 if I'm feeling good about things.

Hi. I thought I would add my two cents on engine noise. I have noticed my engine running smoother and quieter, especially in the morning, and after the engine is fully warmed up, with Mobil 1 EP 10w-30 versus the Syntec. My question is this. I wonder how the GC will make this engine sound when I switch over to it from the Mobil EP, because of the change to a thinner oil, ie 0w-30. Any thoughts on this?

BtB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back