ah ah!! it was the oil filter and not the GC (i think)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Silverado 1500HD 6.0 gas 11,000 miles

Last winter I started to "hoard" mass quantities of green GC. My intention was to us GC in my truck year round for many years. It was suppose to be the ultimate oil for my climate and my vortec 6.0

Well about a month ago my supply of M1 SL SS finally dried up so in went the GC along with a upf-44 delco filter and a maintenance dose of auto-rx

I initially noticed a much quieter engine. I was a happy camper. Then, about 50 miles into my GC change I started hearing what sounded like a lifter(s) rattling. The noise was most noticeable at the first shift point. You would hear it immediately before the truck would shift, say around 1500 rpm, and for about 1-2 seconds as the RPMs dropped. The noise was upper engine related and not CSK ( I know what that sounds like). It would not do it until the truck was about 1/4 of the way warmed up, then it would do it from then on. You could also duplicate it by reaving the engine while parked. Putting the truck in tow mode seamed to quiet it down.

I ran the GC for about 200 miles, cause I have heard some say it takes the engine a while to get used to GC. Finally I got ****** of enough so hear is what I did:

1. Thinking that it could be the GC or auto-rx I dumped the fresh GC !! but left the filter alone and put in some cheap .49/quart chevron 5w30. This did absoultely nothing. I ran this for about another 50 miles.

2. Changed the upf-44 declo filter, leaving the cehvron in the pan, with a hastings. NO MORE SOUND!! I have been noise free for the past 200 miles.

So, now I feel really guilty for blaming the GC and dumping 5.5 quarts in a moment of frustration. I had also tossed the old filter. Should have kept it. But I am happy once again, and I still have 80 quarts of GC in safe underground climate controlled storage.

Any thoughts?

You should die?

Why didn't you dump the oil in a clean sealable bucket/jug? You wasted ARX too!

Don't let it happen again.
wink.gif

Yep, I should be hung out to dry. But was kind of fun to watch pretty green stuff coming out of the oil pan. Even more pretty to watch it mix with the black stuff in my recycling container. Swirls of florescent green in a background of black crud. Wish I had one of those 70's blacklites....

At the time I was really upset... I promise it will nevery happen again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back