Agitating oil that's been sitting for years

Working where I do, I receive oil all the time that has been sitting on a shelf for years. I currently have 9 gallons of 2 cycle oil, some dated early 2000s

Anyone have a suggestion as to mixing up the oil besides shaking it by hand?

I'm getting ready to open a new jug of tcw3 and was just curious if there's anything I could do before breaking the seal.

It kinda bums me out when I see the darker stuff at the bottom of an oil jug, both 2 cycle and engine oil

You reminded me of something I've thought about off-and-on for quite some time: Would the machine in the paint store that shakes up cans of paint work with a jug of oil?

All you're hoping for is to get the fallout suspended long enough to get it into the sump. According to the information Pennzoil provided it won't go back into solution until the oil has warmed up, probably up to operating temperature. As a result shaking it "better" isn't going to help much.

All you're hoping for is to get the fallout suspended long enough to get it into the sump. According to the information Pennzoil provided it won't go back into solution until the oil has warmed up, probably up to operating temperature. As a result shaking it "better" isn't going to help much.
So I take that to mean shaking it is just fine, right before pouring it in the sump. Then, right after filling, drive it immediately and get it up to temp. It will go back into solution, mixing as it is warmed and cylcled through the engine.

Problem solved.

place it in a hot tub of water (200F) for 20 minutes, then take it out with gloves and shake it, then then let it cool to 98.6F and shake it again. Then pour it into the engine. Then give the engine a kiss. :)

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
I think you are confusing "suspension" and "solution" Time won't cause the additive to fall out of solution, you will need a change in energy or a chemical change to make that happen. The additives may fall out of suspension over time, just shake for a second then pour.

Back