AGIP 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
American AGIP website

Check these out.
wink.gif

Okay ..since I'm "group" challenged ..can someone tell me what this means in comparison to the other "groups"???

quote:

Agip is among the first and still few in North America to have converted to Group II Base Oils. Group II base oils (obtained through a process called “hydro-cracking”) are “ super-clear, almost entirely pure and free of contaminants. Their purity permits to formulate lubricants of superior quality, exceeding the most severe performance standards and significantly prolonging the average life of the engine. Agip Super Motor Oils, Agip All Guard as well as Hydraulic and Turbine Oils “X” series, are all formulated with Group II base oils and state of the art additives.

I never spoke "group-ese" ..but from the rhetoric I assumed that the advancing number ..meant some "further" requirement had been reached.

WE use this oil at my job, it cost us 36.00 a case of 12. Not a bad oil seems to hold up pretty well and the vans that we used it in ran smoother and got a little better gas milage.I think that it's a good oil but nothing special, Rotella T syn. is probably a better oil.

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:

I think that it's a good oil but nothing special, Rotella T syn. is probably a better oil.

I really doubt a group III diesel oil will outperform in all respects any fully formulated PAO like the AGIP and others to include the new Amsoil .

This oil is 3.90 a quart and is a bargain if you need/want a 5w-40 . The shipping costs a bunch though since I live the equivalent of 1/2 way across the USA from those guys . Those living in the NE could probably get better rates .

Well ..where are you two getting this stuff for $3 a quart and $3.90 a quart respectively?

From their website I only see $56.92 for 12 quarts. I'm sure that S&H is added on. I also don't see any "where to buy" options. That is, it appears to be "refinery direct" sales only

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I really doubt a group III diesel oil will outperform in all respects any fully formulated PAO like the AGIP and others to include the new Amsoil .

I looked at their MSDS . It says, 'Severely Hydrotreated Paraffinic Hydrocarbons' . To me, AGIP 5w40 looks like Group III oil.

Motorbike: the 5w40 is called their PC 5w40, it is NOT a pao full syn. it is a group 3 like syntec. Gary as far as the price goes we get it from the Agip distributor in our area, "about 10 blocks from my house" and our cost is 36.00 a case of 12.One thing I forgot to add in my original post was that Agip sells a gear oil called RSX 75w90 and we have used this product at work also and it is one VERY heavy duty oil, supposedly used by most Lamborghini dealers.That stuff costs us 60.00 for a case of 12 liters, also the gear oil is made in Italy.I would like to try their MOTO oils that are according to the sales rep. their top of the line Full syn.oils also made in Italy, but at 16.00 a liter I don't think it will happen. The next time our rep. comes in I will try to see if he can get me "trial price" on a case of their full syn. oil to see what it's all about.If anyone really wants any Agip products I could see if my boss would be willing to do some kind of a UPS deal and ship you guys some oil, who knows maybe even our Agip rep. may cut us a deal. The next time he is in I will see what he says.

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:
Motorbike: the 5w40 is called their PC 5w40, it is NOT a pao full syn. it is a group 3 like syntec.

Hmmmm. Well apparently it is not even like Syntec in which at least has some PAO and Slack Wax UCBO in it . This stuff seems to be all group III based on the MSDS .

TurboFrog ,

Thanks for the post with the MSDS . Sparks might
fly Monday when I call the guy at AGIP who sold me some of the 5w-40 that i was going to use in my daughter's car " not yet used any of it " and ask if he still stands behind his statement that this oil is entirely comprised of PAO basestock + additives .

If this is just group III I will ask for my money back

TurboFrog and plexx you have PM's

quote:

Hmmmm. Well apparently it is not even like Syntec in which at least has some PAO and Slack Wax UCBO in it . This stuff seems to be all group III based on the MSDS.

Where are you getting it that Syntec has some PAO in it? Syntec is Group III and and a small amount of esters. This is why Syntec's pour points are so lousy. (The German made 0w30 excluded, of course.)

As for slack wax, Castrol quit using Shell's XHVI several years ago and went with PetroCanada's Group III. "UCBO" is Chevron's trademarked name for their Group III, just as "XHVI" is Shell's tradmared name for their wax isomerate Group III. Neither are generic terms that apply to other Group III base oils.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Where are you getting it that Syntec has some PAO in it? Syntec is Group III and and a small amount of esters.
[/QB]

I get that the Syntec line-up has PAO in it from Castrols MSDS sheets sent to me via US mail .

A Google search also produces some of the Castrol MSDS's on the web , or has in the past .

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Where are you getting it that Syntec has some PAO in it? Syntec is Group III and and a small amount of esters.
I get that the Syntec line-up has PAO in it from Castrols MSDS sheets sent to me via US mail .

A Google search also produces some of the Castrol MSDS's on the web , or has in the past . [/QB]

I've never been able to find a current Castrol MSDS on the web. Can you post the CAS #'s for all the base oils listed in the MSDS they sent you? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back