Aging and Ear hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egads.

I bought a special trimmer, aware that I was sprouting hair on my lobes and from my outer ear canal, but just pulled a thick wiry bristle an inch long on the top of my ear.

I think I am devolving.

What purpose can hair serve in this area, especially to start growing at such a later stage in life? Well early 40?

Don't feel bad. I started growing a blond beard at 13 at the time I loved it. By the time I was 18 I started losing my hair line. Covered in hair all but on my head...

Norelco NT9105/40

The best $15.00 I ever spent in my life!

T2N9lbXDBXXXXXXXXX_!!48141838.jpg

early 40's? HA!

when my hair started thinning out up top (25ish), it started resprouting further south on my head. I'm to the point since 30, that i basically shave the outer ear while shaving my face daily, then still spend additional time in front of mirror with tweezers plucking hairs from the middle of my ear meat.

I'm just glad they aren't sprouting out of my nose yet...yet.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Norelco NT9105/40

The best $15.00 I ever spent in my life!

T2N9lbXDBXXXXXXXXX_!!48141838.jpg

That's the bomb tool right there.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My wife uses tweezers and pulls ALL my ear hair out.

Also trims my eyebrows every 2 months.

JEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ

I hope you brought her flowers and a nice dinner prior to the pulling, because if she is in any way unhappy with you I can see that whole plucking thing going sideways real fast

I feel the same way, I have a little sprouting from the ears but my nose hairs keep lefrovers from dinner handy

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

What purpose can hair serve in this area, especially to start growing at such a later stage in life? Well early 40?

It is called vellus hair and it has always been there. As you age, your dihydrotestosterone level changes and causes the vellus hair to thicken and darken.

Yeah, me too.
Male pattern baldness at 23.
Hair everywhere else.
I tell people that I'm not really bald, I'm just too tall for my hair.

Last edited:
I am in my late 60's, so if you think its bad now, just wait. I use a battery powered weed eater to take care of all this. I am figuring that by my late 70's I will have to bring out the hedge clipper.

I simply say I have a more even distribution of hair on my body. Some have it concentrated on their heads. Me, not so much
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yeah, me too.
Male pattern baldness at 23.
Hair everywhere else.
I tell people that I'm not really bald, I'm just too tall for my hair.

It amazes me on all the ear hair I get now. Not to mention what is up with all the hair growing on my back as well????????????

Originally Posted By: JD4440
I feel the same way, I have a little sprouting from the ears but my nose hairs keep lefrovers from dinner handy

Reminds me of a dentist I once went to. An equatorial jungle has nothing on the booger laced tangle in this guy's snout.

I thought I was turning into Wolfen if you forget to trim for a few months. Long hairs up sides and tips of ears - enough to comb! Almost 60 y.o. The more you cut the thicker it gets - like a hedge.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

It is called vellus hair and it has always been there. As you age, your dihydrotestosterone level changes and causes the vellus hair to thicken and darken.

I did some searching about this. Rather interesting. It seems that while the hormone correlation is the probable cause as we age.....the depth of why/how this occurs seems a bit vague.
Either way....just another fun thing to deal with as we get closer to the grave.

I'm 49.

I yank the ear hair out with my fingers while I sit here at work. It grows so fast I could do this every day. Phillips Norelco, I'm coming for you!

Back hair... becomes a problem once it gets so long that it's uncomfortable to lie down. It tugs and pulls and it's impossible to get comfortable. I wish there were a solution such that I wouldn't need to ask my wife to remove it.

My barber (yes I go to a barber not a "hair sylist") had a customer who refused to have any hair trimmed from his ears saying it would reduce his hearing...
laugh.gif

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back