Age apparently matters for life of seals

I can't fathom how after a hundred years or so we can't make friggin' seals and gaskets that don't leak way before the engine is done. I guess it comes down to us not having the material needed to stand up to the task.
There are extremely long-lived materials such as perfluoroelastomers, but a Kalrez valve cover gasket would sell for thousands of dollars.

I can't fathom how after a hundred years or so we can't make friggin' seals and gaskets that don't leak way before the engine is done. I guess it comes down to us not having the material needed to stand up to the task.

In most cases the seal/gasket didn't fail- something external to it "killed" it.

True seal/gasket failure ( where the fault is in a defective device) is extremely rare.

I have no idea why my rear main seal failed on my truck a few years back. It has been a problem with both my GM trucks. the first one I had it replaced the same time as the transmission at around 100,000 miles (94 Chevy Silerado 350). It never leaked again after that. My 05 GMC Sierra same thing. This time I just added oil until I did the clutch a few months back. I'm hoping this will be the last one to fail.

Back