Ag or Knobby tires for lawnmower on hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Husqvarna Articulating lawnmower that is rear wheel drive and rear wheel steering. Is is pretty great in that it drive like a standard riding mower but turns nearly as good a a zero turn mower. It looks like the picture in the link.

http://sleequipment.com/husqvarna-r220t-...I4tSBoCmznw_wcB

The tires on it are not very good for climbing or descending my new hilly lawn. Wroks great on the flat areas but I would like to put new tires on it and make it work. Trying to decide on Tractor style Ag tires or Knobby 4-wheeler style. Leaning towards the Knobbies right now but thought I would throw it out here for some advice. They make a nice 4wd model but I really don't want to spend the money to upgrade to that if tires are all I might need.
Thanks.

The "chevron" tractor tread tires will tear up your lawn when you do a "zero" turn. Sharp turns on my lawn tractor tears up the yard. I have a hilly yard and the tractor treads give excellent grip. I have had the mower almost slide down the hill using the turf tire, that can kill you quick.

Zero turns were not really made for hills, that is why I'm rocking a traditional lawn tractor with hydro for the hills.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I will likely add washer fluid to inside of tires for additional weight and traction.

I'd go with the knobbies as the ag tires will be hard on the yard. You'd have to make wide turns and avoid cutting if it's damp, which would negate having that mower that lets you turn fairly sharply.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I forgot to add that I will likely add washer fluid to inside of tires for additional weight and traction.

That would not be a good idea.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: spk2000

That would not be a good idea.
06.gif

Why's that?

It's a cheap option and farmers have been doing it for years.

Better than calcium chloride.. it'll eat the rims.

Ag tires only really work better when they can press into the ground and create a mechanical lock, or when its muddy and they slice mud out of the tread cleaning out the tire and getting down to something they can grip.
Your machine isn't heavy enough for ags to work unless you get quite narrow ones and they will rough up your lawn a bit.
Wider ATV type run with lower pressure would be better, and even running your current drive tires at low pressure may help. Another trick I use with my riding mower on the hills, when one tire is spinning is to just drag my hand on it to apply more power to the tire with grip. Works amazingly well with my little 42" mower.

I mow a few acres that is all hill with my JD 185 riding mower, when I first got it I couldn't get any traction on the hill so I got a pair of Kenda Scorpion knobbies that work great. Wouldn't trade them for anything at this point. They don't mess up the grass for me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back