Aftermarket VW Water Pumps?

So, it's looking like grandmothers 2016 Jetta with the 1.4T needs a water pump. Need to bring it into my garage to double check, but that's the area where there is a massive coolant leak coming from.

Looking online it looks like the majority of places (ECS, FCP Euro, etc.) all have that pump for around $400. While I'm not opposed to OEM, that's pretty darn spendy! I found a company (Pierburg) that supposedly does lot's of OEM parts for manufactures and they make a water pump for this car.

Only thing I see is though it's made in China. Also, could be the old version which I likely have as service records do not show a pump replacement.

Rock Auto has a few, but I'm not too sure about them. Parts for a Toyota or the such yea, but VW I'm hesitant.

What do you folks think? This job is a PITA and I don't want to do it every year. I also will replace the little belt that drives it.

So, it's looking like grandmothers 2016 Jetta with the 1.4T needs a water pump. Need to bring it into my garage to double check, but that's the area where there is a massive coolant leak coming from.

Looking online it looks like the majority of places (ECS, FCP Euro, etc.) all have that pump for around $400. While I'm not opposed to OEM, that's pretty darn spendy! I found a company (Pierburg) that supposedly does lot's of OEM parts for manufactures and they make a water pump for this car.

Only thing I see is though it's made in China. Also, could be the old version which I likely have as service records do not show a pump replacement.

Rock Auto has a few, but I'm not too sure about them. Parts for a Toyota or the such yea, but VW I'm hesitant.

What do you folks think? This job is a PITA and I don't want to do it every year. I also will replace the little belt that drives it.
The water pumps on those and the 2.0T’s tend to not last very long. It is what it is.

And no need to replace that belt. If you really insist, walk the belt on, don’t mess with the bolt on that gear.

The water pumps on those and the 2.0T’s tend to not last very long. It is what it is.

And no need to replace that belt. If you really insist, walk the belt on, don’t mess with the bolt on that gear.

I'm replacing the belt as a precaution. It has been leaking coolant for some time, so while I'm in there... Car has 90K on it so might as well. I thought it was an oil leak, but the puddle on the garage floor and smell tells me otherwise.

The 1.4T's little belt needs tensioned through a 10mm hex even if you walk the belt on and off from what it looks like. Pretty simple mechanism. Little bit different than my old MK7 GTI.

The OE pump from the dealer could be made in China, too :sneaky:

VW does a lot of business in China and is the top auto manufacturer in Mexico too. The NCS Jetta is a Mexican car, designed in Mexico and made with mostly Mexican designed-and-made parts. Even the Jettas sold in Europe were imported from Mexico.

Will this aluminum water pump work? :unsure:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm replacing the belt as a precaution. It has been leaking coolant for some time, so while I'm in there... Car has 90K on it so might as well. I thought it was an oil leak, but the puddle on the garage floor and smell tells me otherwise.

The 1.4T's little belt needs tensioned through a 10mm hex even if you walk the belt on and off from what it looks like. Pretty simple mechanism. Little bit different than my old MK7 GTI.
If the 1.4 is different than the 2.0, then disregard. I thought they were the same setup, but it sounds like they are not.

Back