Aftermarket vs. dealer filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota's factory-installed filters are usually made in Japan.

Their dealer filters are made in Thailand. Denso's aftermarket Denso-brand filter is made in Thailand also. Curiously, quite a few Beck/Arnley filters are made in Japan.

Most aftermarket filters are US-made. Fam, Purolator, Wix, Hastings, M1, etc.

So the guy just assumes he'll get a hyundai filter without asking, because he's paying $35, and figures for that money, that's what he should get.

He could ask, is it a hyundai filter, before he hands over the keys.

The filters they put on will at least keep his warranty up.

I honestly have to agree with the guy, I've worked at dealerships, Toyota, Kia, Ford, Dodge, and they always used authentic dealer brand filters, never have I seen a dealership use an aftermarket unless it was on another brand of car, maybe it's just me.

This is pretty normal for manufactures they don't make all the parts. They tell the company's what they want and they make it. Headlights, tail lights, radios, etc.....

The only time a customer gets a non factory filter at my work is if they bring a competitive make car in that Motorcraft does not have a listing for, or we don't stock. I usually try to order a Wix from O'Reillys if I can get that. If it is a used car, only the cheapest will do for that department.

There are companies that will run "service special" coupons to drum up business. Part of that includes using the super cheap filters. We always decline since they want to send those to Ford and Mazda owners.

The Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer that the Town and Country came from uses Valvoline oil and Valvoline filters on everything in their quickie lube department.

But, one can't expect much more than that for an $18.75 oil change, filter, and lube. At that price, I'm not going to gripe about not getting a Mopar filter.

Yeah thats what this guy was saying, it cost like $20 elsewhere for the same filter. I do my own oil changes

I think it is 100% wrong for a dealer to use a non OEM filter on a vehicle that is not the brand they sell. If I take my Ford to the Ford dealer they better be using Motorcraft filters. If I take my Chevy to the Chevy dealer they better use AC Delco. If I take my Honda to the Honda dealer they better use Honda filters.

Any other excuses are pure Bravo Sierra and should not be tolerated. I don't care if it's price or whatever. If you can't make money at your price then raise your price - don't skimp!

The only time a dealer should be using non OEM parts is if they ask the customer or if it is not the brand they sell!

Verry Interesting. I'd say if the Service Champ filter is being used on a Hyundai/Kia's considering the multiple H/K tsb's regarding use of aftermarket filters and related engine noise, this is a pretty big no no.
31.gif
I'd speculate though, their not using the SC on new H/K cars sold at the dealership and under warranty. And if I owned a H/K vehicle, paid $35 for a H/K stealer O/F change thus expecting H/K filter, I'd be ticked too. But, it would be a 'fool me once deal.'

On another matter, not surprised the yt maker goes as no name. Wondering how long before car pros gets a whiff of it and their reaction if any.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I think it is 100% wrong for a dealer to use a non OEM filter on a vehicle that is not the brand they sell. If I take my Ford to the Ford dealer they better be using Motorcraft filters. If I take my Chevy to the Chevy dealer they better use AC Delco. If I take my Honda to the Honda dealer they better use Honda filters.

Any other excuses are pure Bravo Sierra and should not be tolerated. I don't care if it's price or whatever. If you can't make money at your price then raise your price - don't skimp!

The only time a dealer should be using non OEM parts is if they ask the customer or if it is not the brand they sell!

The dealer that uses the Valvoline oil and filters on everything is very open about what they use. It is no big secret.

And I would assume if there is any sort of a failure from their use of a non-OEM product, that the dealer will handle it... as they were the one who installed it.

I'll have to ask the next time that I'm in, if a customer can "upgrade" to a Mopar oil filter for a few bucks extra. I can't imagine that it would be a problem.

There is nothing wrong with Denso filters made in Thailand.That includes Denso's own filter and the one they make for Toyota. Not many on this forum use or even mention them, but for my money, they are a very well made oil filter. In fact, Denso parts are all very high quality.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
There is nothing wrong with Denso filters made in Thailand.

Good construction, but not so good efficiency.

Screen cap from the video:

1z6qow1.jpg

Just a thought here, but Mann-Hummel = Mann, Purolator, and many others.

That Service Champ filter is a Champion-made filter, and as we know, Champion makes good filters.

If the OEM filter in the video is on par with the (German-made) Mann filter line, then they're pretty comparable filters...

... but for all we know, that Korean-made Mann-Hummel filter is really more like a Purolator filter.. which makes the Service Champ at least as good, if not better.

Just a thought.

^^Only the US made Mann is similar to Purolator. According to the yt the Hyundai oem is made by M&H Korea, completely different. Ask any H/K owner about the noise tsb's and you'll find the Hyundai/Kia oem has different construction and apparently works better for some to reduce noise as recommended in the tsb's. One difference is, the H/K oem use silicone adbv, SC, nitrile. That's just one difference. Just like Mann Germany filters are different than Mann US made.

Champ makes the M1, solid filter. They also make the ecore on lowest tier where Service Champ is, a bulk jobber filter used at Firestone and Wally TLE. In this example the SC isn't an ecore, but it's not oem.

So no SC not as good, nor better when one owns an H/K and wants and expects oem, for the $35 price. And as noted in the yt the price point of the two filters is very different too.

it might depend --
my nissan dealer told me for ANTIFREEZE they use oem for repairs if in warranty,

anything elsenot in warranty they use "cheap green stuff" - 8 years ago

I always found it kind of disappointing that GM dealerships use ACDelco Durastop pads and rotors, not the OEM ACDelco parts. So, I just go to my local ACDelco jobber, get the OEM ACDelco parts, and do it myself. Having said that, for aftermarket rotors and pads I don't think you can beat Durastop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back