Aftermarket tires not same as OE, correct?

This is the great mystery of the universe. There are manufacturers that make tires for OEM that many times are called the same as an "off the shelf" product. The OEM tires are a set of compromises that often makes them have negative qualities. For example-quietness over wet traction. (Ask me how I know.) Do your research on the Internet on tires and then decide.
That's what I've learned many many decades ago, generally the tires you buy from tire shops are better than OEM because the OEM emphasize ride quality overall, also, for cost reasons, they are not made to the same treadwear specs and will not last as long.

Mercedes actually sells several brand names of tires, AND they are marked MOE on the sidewall, Mercedes Original Equipment. I somehow doubt that they would be inferior to any tire you get at Discount Tire, but as CKN says, "it's one of life's great mysteries".

I plan on getting replacement tires at the Mercedes dealer, since their prices seem competitive, and they often offer discounts.
BMW is the same(Star-mark and RSC symbols), as well as Audi(A0) and Porsche(N-specs).

GM has TPC, Tesla has Michelin/Pirelli/Goodyear mark their OE tires with T0/T1, Ford has a Fxxxx number on their OE tires. Michelin will mark a tire with DT(Different Tread) to denote an OE tire or an exclusive.

This reminded me of the OEM “Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails” on the RAV4 TRD Off-Road and Woodland (not sure about the adventure) - it has the same fancier sidewall look but completely different, more all-season-y/less all-terrain-y tread and lacks the 3PMSF rating that a typical A/T Trail we can buy has.

Back