Aftermarket/hot rod fuel gauges

D60

Who's good with hot rod apps?

This fuel cell is installed in a '58 Apache. The existing sending unit appears to read ~53 ohms at approx 3/4 tank and if I pull the sender up (thus causing float to drop) as far as I can I see ~140 ohms

No idea what this sending unit was intended for. I've found Chrysler gauges that read 33 full (seems promising as we're at 54 near full) but 240 empty....and it seems I need more like 140 empty.

Suggestions?
20220428_105525.jpg
20220428_105549.jpg

DISREGARD! This actually is a Chrysler sender. The aftermarket sender was poorly setup in the tank.

Mystery solved

Autometer makes a programmable gauge. I'd call a hot rod shop if you want to get a gauge, otherwise maybe look at replacing the gauge and sending unit together.

just my $0.02

Autometer makes a programmable gauge. I'd call a hot rod shop if you want to get a gauge, otherwise maybe look at replacing the gauge and sending unit together.

just my $0.02
The dash gauge is supposed to be 0-30 and I have another 5-bolt universal sender 0-30 on order. Should fix it up.

The truck was built up by a local hot rod shop so I dunno why they put a Chrysler 240-30 in there.....

I like VDO for stand alone gauges. But Dakota Digital has some sweet stuff for the Apache.

I like VDO for stand alone gauges. But Dakota Digital has some sweet stuff for the Apache.
Yeah I've seen it but the owner request was just to get the factory gauge working if possible, or a standalone aftermarket if not.

He purchased a standard Equus GM 0-90 ohm in his attempts to do this himself. So I had his 0-90 Equus, the factory 0-30 and a Chrysler 240-30 sending unit

Three different components, all speaking different languages (sigh).....

Oh and according to the interwebs there was actually a 30-140 ohm used by Ford in late '40s and early '50s (and possibly more, I didn't dig too deep)

This is seemingly mostly obsolete now, with guys at least sometimes obtaining proper readings using 0-90 and adding additional resistance

Again, I only poked my head into that rabbit hole. Every new thing I learn pushes something else out these days due to limited cranial capacity at birth :D

The oddball Ford is not inverse like Chrysler, though, from what I gathered (the lower value ohms is empty like every one but Chrysler)

Dropped in a not-Dorman 0-30 sending unit last night and we have liftoff. This sender came with a nice heavy rubber gasket (vs the paper/cork crap the old one had).

The only weakness may be that you cut the float arm to length and bend a 90 in it. Actually works out slick but adjustability becomes near zero because you can't cut it, say 1/2" shorter and bend again (the bent leg needs to be ~3/4"). So, small adjustments in float arm length aren't really possible except to start with a whole new rod each time.
20220504_185046.jpg
20220504_185018.jpg

Back