Aftermarket AC compressor

Does anyone have experience using the GPD or UAC AC compressor kits from RA? They are approx the same price is one better than the other?

I would normally use OEM but in this instance this is for a 14/year old vehicle. It leaks down enough that the compressor won't engage but does not completely discharge and I have been unsuccessful finding the very very slow leak. The compressor is also noisy.

You're positive the leak is coming from the compressor? If the OEM compressor is working, not noisy, etc. I'd look elsewhere in the system.

You're positive the leak is coming from the compressor? If the OEM compressor is working, not noisy, etc. I'd look elsewhere in the system.
Compressor is noisy and it loses enough freon that it won't kick on, but does not completely lose the entire charge. So it is a very slow leak and seems to lose it a higher pressures such as when system is running. When fully charged it cools well but is noisy.

I trust that you have diagnosed the system, bust did you verify with dye? Maybe there are multiple leaks.

Compressor is noisy and it loses enough freon that it won't kick on, but does not completely lose the entire charge. So it is a very slow leak and seems to lose it a higher pressures such as when system is running. When fully charged it cools well but is noisy.
It's funny that you mention this because I owned a 2007 Odyssey that had this happen. We bought the van new. The a/c stopped working about 4yrs into ownership, with maybe 50K miles on it. I took it to the local Honda dealer. They found it low on refrigerant charge and couldn't find a leak. They supposedly evacuated the system. Leak checked and refilled. We never had a problem with the HVAC beyond that, but only owned the van until 2013.

I've had no need to research this, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a youtube video or 10 on this issue with this range of Hondoo van at this point.

It's funny that you mention this because I owned a 2007 Odyssey that had this happen. We bought the van new. The a/c stopped working about 4yrs into ownership, with maybe 50K miles on it. I took it to the local Honda dealer. They found it low on refrigerant charge and couldn't find a leak. They supposedly evacuated the system. Leak checked and refilled. We never had a problem with the HVAC beyond that, but only owned the van until 2013.

I've had no need to research this, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a youtube video or 10 on this issue with this range of Hondoo van at this point.
Exactly, when this van was new it was taken in for the same problem, dealer could not find the leak. Refilled and sent on the way, every 2-3 years it needed a top off. Finally this past summer it would only hold the charge for 3 weeks, then charge would get so low AC clutch would not engage. if you charge it and don't run it then it leaks even slower. Short of rebuilding entire system hard to really find a leak that small.

Wasn't there a post recently from someone in the parts biz that said there are only a couple manufacturers for compressors on the aftermarket? Even a Delco or Motorcraft isn't actually the OEM part. Just go with a name brand and say a prayer.

Wasn't there a post recently from someone in the parts biz that said there are only a couple manufacturers for compressors on the aftermarket? Even a Delco or Motorcraft isn't actually the OEM part. Just go with a name brand and say a prayer.
Denso makes their own compressors. Ford/Visteon and GM/Delphi did - it’s now Hanon(Halla Visteon) Climate Systems and Mahle Behr Thermal. Sanden and Valeo(Diesel Kiki, Zexel) does as well.

I have a RockAuto special on my Jaguar X-Type. The first one vibrated horribly and quickly failed catastrophically. The warranty replacement has been epic good.

I installed 100's of aftermarket ac compressors in the past. Less than 1% failure rate. The trick is the thoroughly clean the system of any debris and replace the condensed.

Since yours is making noise it's likely spitting metal too.

Back