after warrany engine wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone had the pleasure of taking a well serviced engine after it has lasted its service period from the factory i/e after the warranty is done, and tear it down to get a idea on how much actual wear has taken place?
bore gauge to cylider walls, mic to crank journals and so on?
It makes no sense to me people saying they will treat the engine better with synthetic oil after the warranty
21.gif

after the warranty the engine has plenty wear, after all the manufacture got you out on your own now.
I was wondering how many people actually take apart a good running engine to check for actual wear
05.gif

I have seen plenty of engines with milage all the way down to dyno time, so I would love to hear others with their experiences
13.gif

did it on a friends 2005 mustang GT with about 80k miles. it had seen nohting but Mobil 1 5w30 and BMW 5W30. the motor was also run with a fairly large turbo for about 15k miles along with a fair amount of open track days and being driven very hard on a daily basis.

the motor came apart because the owner wanted to switch to a forged rotating assembly and ARP main and head studs so he could add more boost. there was no bore taper wear whatsoever. no ring ridge, no sludge. the crosshatch looked like it was off of a brand new motor. one of the rockers had seized and wore down a cam lobe, aftermarket cams.

not the engine in question is a Ford 4.6L 3V motor. the motor put down about 550rwhp on stock internals. it now puts down about 650rwhp on pump gas and over 700rwhp on race gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
Good heavens thats a cr@pload of power.

M

actually not enough for the owner. the new project is to now take out the turbo and install a supercharger, finally realized that he has to keep it smog legal in CA after the police caught up with him.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the new project is to now take out the turbo and install a supercharger, finally realized that he has to keep it smog legal in CA after the police caught up with him.

That stinks.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
the new project is to now take out the turbo and install a supercharger, finally realized that he has to keep it smog legal in CA after the police caught up with him.

That stinks.

totally, now i get to help swap out the Hellion turbo for a Whipple.

M

actually not enough for the owner. the new project is to now take out the turbo and install a supercharger, finally realized that he has to keep it smog legal in CA after the police caught up with him.

I can help with that....

Seems like he's going backwards going from a turbo to a supercharger.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

M

I can help with that....

I was thinking the same thing. Unless he needs a linear powerband, but getting a state of the art turbocharger like a Garret GT 4088R dual ball bearing unit that can supply enough capacity for 800 hp will still spool reasonably well in a V-8 engine.

Technology has come so far in the last 10 years it's amazing. I went from running a 3,600 stall convertor to get decent spoolup to new 6765 dual ball bearing GT series and with a tight 2,800 stall it still spools better. I think this is way we're seeing many new turbo cars like the CL65, Porsche turbos, and 335s that make peak torque around 2,200rpm and still rev fairly high.

The dual ball bearing turbos and anti-lag programming in ECUs has made turbocharging just amazing in drag racing. They can run ginormous units with no concern about spooling. Peak boost with essentially no real load on the engine at the line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

he is, and is fully aware and completely [censored]. but he needs something CARB legal, and not a fake CARB sticker legal, genuinely legal.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
There are no CARB legal turbo kits for the new Mustangs?

nope, they all require modifying the catalyst assemblies.

unfortunately pending is just that, pending. until they get that EO number you can still be cited for having illegally modified emissions.

when i was a lane tech at a smog ref, a kid came in with a Chevy truck with a STS rear mount turbo, the kit was pending, so he failed. also vehicles that have turbos stock can have FMICs, however a vehicle has a turbo kit, must only use components from that kit, which he had, so it was a double fail. e also had a resistor assembly on the MAF, which is illegal as well.

Last edited:
Stupid Kulifornia!

I bet if his kit was tuned perfectly, it probably would put out less emissions then a lot of other cars that would pass an e'test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back