After synthetic....is back to dino oil possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Not that I'm planning this, but if someone has been using synthetic oil for a while can they switch back to dino oil?

What kind of problems may come out of doing this?

Thanks,

George

I heard once you started eating Mexican food, you can no longer eat Chinese.
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know how these rumors/myths/old-wive's tales get started?
confused.gif

Sure, early synthetics in a high mileage vehicle caused some leaks ... but that was an early PAO formula (Mobil 1, mostly) in marginal engines which were probably prone to leaking anyway.

No idea where the reverse idea came from.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Of course its ok to switch back. In fact, I have been using Mobil1 in the worst winter months because my truck stays outside, then back to dino for the other seasons.

In the past, I had heard of people who had problems when they went from dino to synthetic with leaking. i have never heard of a problem with going from syn back to dino.

My only issue-which I can't really prove and have mentioned before: Each oil will be slightly different as far as seal swell goes. I think that when you change oils the oil used previously will be replaced by the new oil. I think this eventually will cause a seal to leak. Just an opinion though.
smile.gif

Never heard that about Mexican and Chinese food, but I know that you don't want to chase a Canadian beer with a domestic beer - if you do, the American beer will taste skunky.

I have mixed synthetics and dino (making my own "blended" oil) frequently in multiple vehicles (two Nissans, a Ford and a Dodge, all with over 100K on the clock) with absolutely no problems. I am not recommending this for you, but just to let you know it has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back