After 13 years, a new TV…

I went with a Sony 950H. It replaces a 2008 Pioneer Kuro, which in turn replaces a Panasonic plasma. I gave the Panasonic to my friend who helped me unload and unpack the Sony. I’m very pleased so far; the only hiccup was the new Panasonic 4K BD player; it didn’t want to play nice with my 2008 Denon AVR- or at least I think that’s what the problem was. I exchanged it for its Sony equivalent and no more issues(and I saved $250).
Hopefully I’m good for another decade or so.

I had to Google what that was, fancy! We have a fairly basic 55" Samsung smart tv and a 50" LG. I prefer the interface of the LG better, it also comes with a better remote. Both do what we need them to do.

LG and Samsung TVs are also great. I splurged since it was my first major home theater purchase since 2008. On the other hand I still use my 1990 Rotel CD player(yes, I’m a dinosaur), as well as my 2008 Denon- which was still being built in Japan back then.

Reactions: JC1
I have seen a precipitous drop in all things Samsung in the past few years. I have a 55" Samsung from 2008 and it still looks better and performs better than a much higher-end Samsung I purchased 3 years ago - the new TV already has backlight bleeding around the edges that are getting worse. Apparently, a very common problem that they just let go on. I have a 3-year-old Samsung refrigerator and the ice maker doesn't work. It freezes up - I don't know one single person with a Samsung refrigerator over 2 years old with a working icemaker - this has been going on for years and Samsung just lets it go on.

We have an LG LED TV we inherited and it's gorgeous but I'm thinking of going with a 75" Sony in the basement.

Pursuant to BITOG informal rule # 47b, when a new thread is started referring to an activity, watching an activity or the purchasing of any item it is important that some BITOG member, not interested in that activity, watching that activity, or lacking ownership in said purchased item or interest in purchasing that item, immediately jump in and state so.

With this in mind, I will mention I have not purchased a TV or watched it regularly for 21 years.

I do understand what "Moops" are however; I'm off to have a beer (which i understand many no longer drink and check out some NFL highlights, which i understand no one has interest in, on youtube)

Happy viewing; hopefully you will have years of event free ownership.

-Thomas

Very nice choice. I’ve got a nearly top-of-the-line, then-$2100 1080p Samsung LED/LCD from early in the last decade.

I’ve seen some beautiful LCD 4K TVs that would make an affordable upgrade, but nothing compares to OLED. I’m hoping my Samsung lasts long enough for OLED to be affordable by the time it’s time to upgrade. Either that or something new comes along, like microLEDs(sp).

Last edited:
Very nice choice. I’ve got a nearly top-of-the-line, then-$2100 1080p Samsung LED/LCD from early in the last decade.

I’ve seen some beautiful LCD 4K TVs that would make an affordable upgrade, but nothing compares to OLED. I’m hoping my Samsung lasts long enough for OLED to be affordable by the time it’s time to upgrade. Either that or something new comes along, like microLEDs(sp).
I liked the Sony OLEDs a lot- but not enough to spend $1,800 more…

Reactions: JC1
I still have my dads sony lcd? tv that has that "smart feature" if you have the smart box or something.

I do kind of urge to look at a bigger tv, last time i watched tv was like a year ago though, but I do want to play a game on 60fps at 4k!

I know my computer could handle shadow of the tomb raider at 4k, maybe 60fps.

I remember our old ca. 1998 Magnovox 30" or something crazy for the time. In 2007ish we got rid of it since it was starting to have issues. We got our first modern flat screen then. None other than a Magnovox of course.
It's amazing how cheap they've become. I paid somewhere around $500 for my basic 46" lcd in 2014. Now you can get a 55" QLED smart tv for the same price or less.

OLED TV prices and tech has stabled long enough and that's when I jumped on LG's C9 65" OLED couple years ago. Replaced a Vizio 55" CCFL backlit TV that was becoming too archaic.
I kept an eye on fledging OLED tech from smartphones to the first OLED televisions. Then seeing early adapter prices of large format OLEDS in the $5,000 range. Then newer HDMI standards and specs got introduced and OLED panel tech improved almost rivaling PC gaming monitors (iirc some of the early complaints were mediocre pixel response times which made it poor for gaming.) Then came gaming hardware and content which took advantage of the newer standards. New HDMI specs such as Variable Refresh Rate and content offering HDR bought out the biggest advantages of OLED tech (and latest and greatest LCD models too.)

Back