AFM/DFM disabler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN

So get a gas 3/4 ton or up. You can get them for the same price as a half ton, better everything (except MPG) with the gas motor and Ford and GM do not have AFM in their 3/4 ton and up gassers.

You cant get a comparably equipped one for the same price. You have to go down at least one trim level to get one near a half-ton price.[/quote]

Not a diesel but the gas ones sell for about the same out here. Most people want the diesel so will deal on the gasser. When I was looking they had two LTZs on the lot one 1/2 gasser one 3/4 ton gasser there was 580 dollars between the two. 53,000ish each. the diesel LT was 63,000.
[/quote]

Take a picture of the stickers and show me they both have the same equipment. The same options......
[/quote]
That is last July when I bought my current truck. You are welcome to go down to the dealer and check for yourself.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The pickup tube o-ring is prone to failure in these engines. Thats real bad for an AFM engine which relies on oil pressure to do its thing. IMO a $2 oring, not AFM is the real cause of engine failure.

That is all LS based engines over a long period of time. That O-ring is not the main reason for the lifter failure. That would mean you see it often in stuff like the 5.3 or 6.0 prior to 07 or an LS1, that is not the case. While oil pressure issues are the problem it is usually in the VLOM.
Failure of the o-ring will cause an overall loss or lowering of oil pressure. A failure or "clog" in the VLOM is generally what causes a specific lifter failure.

This mostly makes my point. The o-ring failure may have been a problem in pre AFM engines, but they did not have collapsible lifters that relied on oil pressure. So pre AFM engines could get by with less oil pressure. Tick and rattle, but survive. Whereas the AFM lifters would get stuck and grenade the cam lobe when there was not enough oil pressure. Sure a clog might be a problem also. Which is also a lack of oil pressure. But that would mean every engine that fails is dirty. Which is not the case. The only common theme is low oil pressure and that's why I think it's the ring more than anything else.

Nope, the oil pump pickup tube o ring is the not the main failure mode for AFM. You can go to any LS site and find that out and I would say about all of the AFM failures had normal oil pressure from the pump and when measured, when pulled the VLOM filter is clogged or the VLOM has failed itself. (meaning it activated at the wrong time and caused lifter damage or the lifter to be stuck in the compressed position.) I have been involved with 10 different AFM failures not one was the oil pump pick up o ring. It was a failure of the VLOM or the filter was clogged. Have you actually pulled one apart? Have you seen that filter? Some of the failures were before 100,000 miles and the oil pump o-ring generally isn't a problem until well past the mileage of a AFM failure.

You are right low oil pressure, but not because of the oil pump pick up tube o ring. I am sure it is has happened, but it is not the main cause of the failure.

I am not trying to be a D-bag. I have been around A LOT of these engines in Caprices and G8, not to mention a few trucks and have done or participated in over 20 LS cam swaps. While the o ring is an issue, it is not the main failure mode. The failure mode is oil pressure. One of the cars had a failure due the lifter bore being out of spec which was enough to cause low pressure in the VLOM which in turned caused the AFM failure. Took us an extra lifter swap to figure that out.

Last edited:
How long should the VLOM filter last ?

BTW … folks come on here saying the new oil pumps are just another CAFE thing ?
My 2018 hits 75 psi in a split second when it shifts to high stage …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
How long should the VLOM filter last ?

BTW … folks come on here saying the new oil pumps are just another CAFE thing ?
My 2018 hits 75 psi in a split second when it shifts to high stage …

I guess it depends on your maintenance schedule.
The are not large and can gunk up easy.
[Linked Image]

A bad one from the net.

The last swap I did in my garage was on a G8 GT that was just starting to tick at 70,000 miles. Great oil pressure but the filter was about clogged, causing a loss of pressure in the VLOM. Swapped in a BTR stage 1 cam, LS7 lifter and associated components. Real similar setup to my car.

My 2017 3500HD is similar. My old 02 didn't have the variable displacement oil pump and that thing always ran over 45 psi, usually at 55 to 60 running down the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
A 12 year old design plagued with a recall every other month is not a indication of reliability. The truck is losing market share month over month so most consumers do not consider Tundra reliability to be significantly higher than anything else. The consumer is right.

I haven't been following new trucks lately, and I'll admit my Tundra is a loser in the scheme of things, but a recall per month? I don't recall receiving any recalls in a few years now. I would have only just recently timed out the CPO warranty so I should have been receiving them in the mail.

Originally Posted by supton
A 12 year old design plagued with a recall every other month is not a indication of reliability. The truck is losing market share month over month so most consumers do not consider Tundra reliability to be significantly higher than anything else. The consumer is right.

I haven't been following new trucks lately, and I'll admit my Tundra is a loser in the scheme of things, but a recall per month? I don't recall receiving any recalls in a few years now. I would have only just recently timed out the CPO warranty so I should have been receiving them in the mail.

Yeah - that's a lot of recalls that I've not seen. My truck has been perfectly reliable since I got it. Not one repair. Not one issue. No AFM or other gimmicks to break or worry about.

Certainly not all the recalls that are claimed. It had exactly ONE recall - to replace the composite bumper mounts with steel. Evidently the composite could be damaged by an impact without external evidence, leading to some safety concern. That's fine. Whatever.

My truck had been great. Just great. Performs wonderfully when towing. Nice features. Excellent engine.

Before anyone says that the Tundra is just for suburban posers, here's mine...last month...

[Linked Image]

There are two kinds of BITOG posters on Tundras:

Those that love their Tundra

Those who have never owned a Tundra.

Last edited:
my tundra has pulled a trailer for 17 years every day of the week with only a o2 sensor replaced. its a real work truck. gets terriable mpg but bulletproof reliability

Originally Posted by Astro14

Yeah - that's a lot of recalls that I've not seen. My truck has been perfectly reliable since I got it. Not one repair. Not one issue. No AFM or other gimmicks to break or worry about.

Certainly not all the recalls that are claimed. It had exactly ONE recall - to replace the composite bumper mounts with steel. Evidently the composite could be damaged by an impact without external evidence, leading to some safety concern. That's fine. Whatever.

My truck had been great. Just great. Performs wonderfully when towing. Nice features. Excellent engine.

Before anyone says that the Tundra is just for suburban posers, here's mine...last month...

[Linked Image]

https://www.cars.com/research/toyota-tundra-2019/recalls/
https://www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Toyota/Tundra/

Please. You make it sound like the truck is unreliable. It's hardly "plagued with recalls".

Read some of those recalls you linked.

E.G. Wrong label on certain 2019 models with spray-in bed liner. Listed multiple times.

I've had one, and only one, recall. It was for bumper brackets. Which was only a issue if you had hit the truck and then had potentially hidden damage.

Yeah, the Tundra design is older. That 380HP V-8 is a simple engine...and I'm glad for what I didn't get:

Gasoline direct injection. Twin turbos. Timing chain driven water pump. Air suspension. Active Fuel Management. Blech...all extra junk that has caused real recalls and headaches for owners as those companies test out their new tech on owners.

I test drove every truck on the market. Every power train. Gas. Diesel. All of them.

I chose the one I liked.

Still like it. Love it, in fact.

In fact, I'm of this opinion:

The Ecotec 4.3 is a very reliable engine with real world fuel economy better than the 3.6 in pickups. The 3.6 under any load revs higher and longer to make and maintain power. But people should buy what makes them happy.

This entire thread is about how to disable one of those great "features" (AFM) that I don't have on my truck. No need for me to worry about AFM. One of the reasons I didn't get a GM and one of the reasons I got the Tundra. It's a simpler engine.

I'm not feeling the way these guys do about their engine:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5403623/1

Known problem. Known failure.

And no, Dodge didn't recall the oil cooler, just let the consumer take the hit and pay out of pocket.

Nice.

Thanks, I'll stick with my Tundra. The power train is proven, reliable and durable.

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

There is nothing wrong with Tundras. Hopefully if you buy one-you will know you are getting a new truck based on 12 year old technology-and the worst gas millage in it's class. But mechanically they are sound.

Please. You make it sound like the truck is unreliable. It's hardly "plagued with recalls".

Read some of those recalls you linked.

E.G. Wrong label on certain 2019 models with spray-in bed liner. Listed multiple times.

I've had one, and only one, recall. It was for bumper brackets. Which was only a issue if you had hit the truck and then had potentially hidden damage.

Yeah, the Tundra design is older. That 380HP V-8 is a simple engine...and I'm glad for what I didn't get:

Gasoline direct injection. Twin turbos. Timing chain driven water pump. Air suspension. Active Fuel Management. Blech...all extra junk that has caused real recalls and headaches for owners as those companies test out their new tech on owners.

I test drove every truck on the market. Every power train. Gas. Diesel. All of them.

I chose the one I liked.

Still like it. Love it, in fact.

In fact, I'm of this opinion:

The Ecotec 4.3 is a very reliable engine with real world fuel economy better than the 3.6 in pickups. The 3.6 under any load revs higher and longer to make and maintain power. But people should buy what makes them happy.

Fact a recall is a recall. You make it sound like all the modern engine technology isn't proven and it's prototype technology and consumers are beta testers. This is simply false. The truth is for every GM, Ford, and Ram power train complaint there are 95-99 owners with zero issues. This is close to and some years better than Tundra with a 12 year old design. So the falsehood of brand superior quality is just that a falsehood.

GM has let more unproven desighns out the door than every other auto maker combined. vega -v8 deisel -v8-6-4- NorthStar caddy 4100 ht engine . 2.4 ecotec -the list goes on. the consumers WERE the beta testers in each and every one of these debacales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back