Affordable 5w30 and 10w30 oils with high zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
With current epa regulations, I understand it may be tough, but besides Quaker State defy, brad penn (pricey) and Valvoline Racing (unsure if available in 5-30, unsure about how long an oci) what other commonly available high zinc oils are available in these grades? I know opinions vary on how necessary zddp is, but I am weighing my options for a flat tappet engine. Defy seems like the logical choice, but I dont have any leaks or consumption and dont really like the idea of using a "high mileage" oil in an engine that doesnt need it.

Last edited:
If you don't like the idea of a HM oil, then Rotella T5 10w 30 is the one for you. It is $16 per gallon and is a synthetic blend. Rotella T6 5w 40 is another good choice and is about $21.xx per gallon and is full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you don't like the idea of a HM oil, then Rotella T5 10w 30 is the one for you. It is $16 per gallon and is a synthetic blend. Rotella T6 5w 40 is another good choice and is about $21.xx per gallon and is full synthetic.

I know that lots use rotella in gas engines, but to my understanding it is designed for diesel motors. Are there any downsides to using this "HDEO" in a gas engine?

Ive also considered a zddp additive but dont want to have too much zddp either.

Last edited:
No downsides of the Rotella oils that I can think of except, it may(MAY) hurt MPG slightly! OR, unless you have a very dirty engine, this will clean up the gunk as HDMO are designed for better soot control of a diesel engine
smile.gif

And you won't be getting tooooo much zinc but, deffinately will be getting enough zinc for your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

I know that lots use rotella in gas engines, but to my understanding it is designed for diesel motors. Are there any downsides to using this "HDEO" in a gas engine?

Rotella T5 is SM rated and T6 is SM, SL, SH, so they are both fine to run in gas engines.

Amsoil makes Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 which is high ZDDP. It is marketed as a diesel oil, but is also SL rated for gas engines. I posted a VOA of HDD on this board last December.

Well, you can just ignore the high mileage marketing print on Defy or Maxlife labels and enjoy very good formulations at decent prices. Maxlife no longer contains moly, nor does it have any surplus of zinc, since its an API SN oil.
Defy has a nice shot of Moly and contains enough zinc that it only qualifies as an API SL in either of the thirty grades it's available in.
Are you writing about your old Ford inline six?
That is an engine of legendary durability, without much power and with a pretty low operating rev range.
I doubt that it really needs a higher level of zinc than what you'd find in any current oil.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

No issues whatsoever. I recommended this oil for a friends old Challenger too.
_________
I am currently running QS Defy in my Jeep. Over the OCI I have been checking the oil (without adding) and to my surprise it consumed half a quart over 3000 miles. I just had my rear main seal replaced last fall and ran Pennzoil conventional after that. From what I could tell, it didn't consume anything noticeable. Maybe my Jeep has developed another leak in a 4 month period, but from what I can tell, it hasn't. Could be the valve cover gasket too though.

Looking at the shell website I see that their triple protection and T5 both are available in 10w30. Is the zinc content of both similar? The only thing i can conclusively gather is that the t5 is a synthetic blend and the triple protection os not.

I will add my vote for the HDEO as-well, I have been using Rotella (mostly T5) for years and have racked up a few 100k mi with it in a few vehicles with no complaints, just pro and more pros !
I love the stuff and would love to use it our newest v6 Ford, but chose German Castrol instead due to availability of 0-40. The Rotella is second to none !

To answer your question the dino and the T5 are almost identical, the T5 will do a bit better in the cold and MAYBE withstand shearing a bit better (not that the dino will shear either within reason) the T5 may also have a bit higher TBN resulting in longer OCI's, use either with confidence.

If you go with Rotella, it is a good time to buy NOW as they a have a $5 MIR, which would make a great syn-blend oil for $11 a gal.

Last edited:
Defy is a solid choice. Also there's no problem using a high mileage oil in a vehicle that doesn't leak. The seal conditioners are preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Valvoline VR1 10W30 is only about $4 a quart.

IIRC the VR1 is there "racing" oil, if so I would not run this in a DD as it has an add-pak designed for a high performance racing engine and quick OCI's.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Valvoline VR1 10W30 is only about $4 a quart.

IIRC the VR1 is there "racing" oil, if so I would not run this in a DD as it has an add-pak designed for a high performance racing engine and quick OCI's.

The VR1 conventional oil is perfect for daily drivers (straight from Valvoline). The VR1 "Not Street Legal" oil is the racing-only oil not recommended for daily drivers.

If this is indeed for an old Ford 300 it doesn't have the valve spring pressure for you to be even remotely worried about ZDDP content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back