AFE 0w-30 for My GDi Sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an opportunity to buy a large quantity of AFE for $1.60/quart. I would have enough for the life of the vehicle. Car specs 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30. Its a 2.4l direct injection. Should I do it?

Yep...
Only problem is that it will be like being married, you'll see bottles all over the place that you'd like to try out, but all you need back home.

$1.60/qt ?!?

I wouldn't hesitate. M1 guarantees 0w30 for cars spec'd 5w30. I bought 20 qts of the MAG1 dexos (a syn) for $1.80/qt. If they had more, I would've bought it all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yep...
Only problem is that it will be like being married, you'll see bottles all over the place that you'd like to try out, but all you need back home.

LOl... very true and I only realized it after my impulse response. Eh, I'm like every other guy I guess.

Yes do it and change it out every 3K miles because why not?
laugh.gif

will drive to Texas for $1.60 syn oil... if you pass, let me know, I called dibs

I guess I am a polygamist... it does not mater how much I have at home, a few more won't hurt.

Check your local autozones. They changed the regular price from 35.99 to 10.00 for the 5.28qt jug. Plus I get 20% off.

Also individual quarts of 0w20EP for $3.

We have mobil super syn quart for $2. I already bought those up.

Thanks for the replies! I'll be a Mobil guy for the foreseeable future!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yep...

He can pretend it is another oil.

If you are still under warranty it's not the good deal it looks to be IMO. False economy to jeopardize an extended warranty potentially worth thousands to save a few bucks on oil.

That said the Ow30 is one of the few M1 products that tempts me and I may very well try it in our KIA, after the warranty is up though.

I would do it. Does anyone think you can tell the difference in a 5w 30 and a 0w 30 on a uoa? The Dealer will run a uoa if there is an engine warranty issue, but so what, you can't really tell the difference in them unless you test to the level of mrv and pour points.

Last edited:
Agreed,
and the cold temperature specs die off in service anyway...they could KV40/KV100 and get the same answer for M1 0w30 and 5W30 after it's been there a few weeks.

Used Mobil I 0w-30 since it became available here about five of six years ago. Walmart had it for $22 something for the five quart jug this summer. I believe the current price is $26. ++ now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back