AEB on ice?

Does anyone have experience with their vehicle's Automatic Emergency Braking on an icy road with other vehicles in front of them?

You know, you're looking down(not on your phone of course) but, something we've all done and the vehicles safety system(AEB) kicked in...ON ICE?

What happens, do you still smash into the vehicle in front of you?

I realize that the ABS will also activate but, you're on ICE!

Last edited:
Well the system must obey the laws of physics.
If you're close enough for the system to activate, then you were likely going to hit them anyway because you were following too close in icy conditions while also being distracted.

That's strike one, two, and three against you already for not properly operating your vehicle for the given conditions.

So when the system activates and the car slides on the ice at least the ABS will be working for you and you might have a chance.

But all bets are off.....
YMMV.

This is a good question. I’ve thought about this too as it would relate to autonomous driven vehicles.

A smart system should be using the computer to know what the current driving conditions are. Some AWD systems already use this information. I don’t know if the AEB systems do or not. If conditions warrant, the system should be lengthening the distance between you and the vehicle in front to begin with.

I don't think we are there quite yet.

This is a good question. I’ve thought about this too as it would relate to autonomous driven vehicles.

A smart system should be using the computer to know what the current driving conditions are. Some AWD systems already use this information. I don’t know if the AEB systems do or not. If conditions warrant, the system should be lengthening the distance between you and the vehicle in front to begin with.

I don't think we are there quite yet.
Following distance is a setting on Teslas. I don't know if it automatically adjusts for conditions, but it should.

Following distance is a setting on Teslas. I don't know if it automatically adjusts for conditions, but it should.

It’s a adjustable setting on my Mazda but I don’t think conditions will adjust it either. Thinking about it, it should not be too hard to implement. The AWD system already adjusts to changing conditions.

So for example, when the windshield wipers activate the distance should increase to the next step.

I rent cars regularly, often in the North East winter, some have emergency braking systems. Some of them work with input from the driver, some without. In other words, when you hit the brakes in a panic, it brings the vehicle to a stop at the best rate. Others apply brakes without any input from you.

Stopping on smooth glare ice, such as a recently frozen wet bridge, is obviously difficult. I'm not sure ABS helps or hurts, as any form of braking is nearly useless, the vehicle can easily lose control with any inertial change, no matter what systems are employed.

Stopping on rough ice, such as compacted and frozen snow, is always faster without ABS. Same goes for sand and deep snow.

This has been my biggest question with self driving cars and trucks. In good weather everything works as designed. What happens when these vehicles hit that patch of black ice and start to spin? What happens when the self driving semi runs into snow on a pass ? How about a large

There are lots of scenarios where these systems can fail or make the wrong decision. Humans learn to handle these situations.

To clarify,, the topic is about AEB. Automatic Emergency Braking.

This has been my biggest question with self driving cars and trucks. In good weather everything works as designed. What happens when these vehicles hit that patch of black ice and start to spin? What happens when the self driving semi runs into snow on a pass ? How about a large

There are lots of scenarios where these systems can fail or make the wrong decision. Humans learn to handle these situations.

To clarify,, the topic is about AEB. Automatic Emergency Braking.
Human error is involved in almost every accident. Computers will be far better than humans. I think you know Teslas update a database while on whatever level of AP. Tesla has billions of miles of actual driving data over what, 10 years?
I can tell you the braking (#1) and now lane positioning seem to be the most evolving based on update notes.
Lane positioning used to center the car; now it moves a bit depending on the size of the vehicle next to you (think semi truck) and lane position of the vehicle next to you.
Now it's road conditions, such as construction.

Each human has to learn as an individual. A program and its updates can be sent to every vehicle.
No human can see as much as 8 cameras and radar.

As you say, inclement weather and especially ice is a whole different game vs. perfect sunny (with high visibility) weather.
And CA, where much of the data is sourced, ain't got no ice.

Back