Advice on picking a van.

Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
1,979
Location
Indiana
Since I decided to get rid of my wife's 04 Concorde due to the possible sludge issue I've been checking out the current selection of vans. I've narrowed it down to the new Uplander from Chevrolet and the Mazda MPV.The Uplander is new this year so there isn't a lot of reviews about it. The MVP seems to get pretty good reviews from what I've been able to find on the net.The 3.0L seems like it gets favorable reports on this site.The Uplander has a 3.5L engine that I think has been used in some of GM's other models.Does anyone have any specific first hand experience thay would like to share on either model? Any advice would be appreciated because I trust most everyone on here's comments over a salesmans. Thanks.
 
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
239
Location
California
My neignbor backed his MPV into my Volvo 240. He needed a new bumper. Volvo just wanted some Armorall. [LOL!] Depreciation is going to be steep on that Chevy. Probably more than the cost of a new engine in the Chrysler.
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2003
Messages
1,397
Location
Katy, Texas
As long as you change your oil like you are supposed to, you have nothing to worry about. I would just keep the Concorde. If you really have your mind set on a van, MPV. It has the Ford 3.0L Durtec V6, which is very very smooth and powerful. It's a smaller van so it is easier to drive and some what sporty.
 

farrarfan1

Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
1,979
Location
Indiana
Thanks for the comments. That MPV really is a nice riding van.The Uplander is pretty decent too but it's about 800 pounds heavier and feels more like a van or almost an suv. The wife has always had a couple of little things she didn't particularly like about the Concorde so when I brought up the idea of looking at vans she jumped right on it.I've always resisted the idea of minivans but have to admit they aren't as bad as I thought. The MPV really does give the impression of driving a nice car instead of a van. [ May 11, 2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: farrarfan1 ]
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
1,350
Location
Basehor, KS
I own a 2001 MPV and have been very happy with it. My costs have been for normal maintenance only and the vehicle has never gone back to the dealer for any warranty issues. Have 65K on it now. If you want a slightly smaller van than the Odyssey, this is the one. Now for the potential bad news....look at Apr 05 Consumer Reports. The newer MPVs have had problems that mine never had, and the 2005 CR rating for the MPV reflects that. You need to evaluate the risk in purchasing a new MPV and settling for what may be less reliability than what I have experienced. Your other choice would be to find a low mileage, high quality used MPV before 2002. Hope this info helps you out and good luck on your search.
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2003
Messages
1,397
Location
Katy, Texas
quote:
Originally posted by JayhawkRoy: I own a 2001 MPV and have been very happy with it. My costs have been for normal maintenance only and the vehicle has never gone back to the dealer for any warranty issues. Have 65K on it now. If you want a slightly smaller van than the Odyssey, this is the one. Now for the potential bad news....look at Apr 05 Consumer Reports. The newer MPVs have had problems that mine never had, and the 2005 CR rating for the MPV reflects that. You need to evaluate the risk in purchasing a new MPV and settling for what may be less reliability than what I have experienced. Your other choice would be to find a low mileage, high quality used MPV before 2002. Hope this info helps you out and good luck on your search.
How does the MPV drive with the smaller 2.5L V6? That is kinda suprising that the 3.0L version is less reliable. I don't listen to CR anyway but to each their own.
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
1,350
Location
Basehor, KS
I think it drives well. I have no trouble keeping up with traffic even when I pull a loaded 6x10 trailer behind it. Handles well in winter weather. It is our long trip car of choice because the seats are comfortable and there is plenty of room for stuff. Despite the relatively long and slanted hood (for a mini-van), visibility seems to be very good.
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
4,874
Location
MN
The new 2006 Uplander will have a VVT 3.9 with 240hp if you can wait. The two are really different vans really. -T
 

farrarfan1

Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
1,979
Location
Indiana
quote:
Originally posted by T-Keith: The new 2006 Uplander will have a VVT 3.9 with 240hp if you can wait. The two are really different vans really. -T
Just drove the new 05 Uplander home last night. They didn't have any 06's yet.It's a lot bigger than the Mazda and more toys,DVD, X-M radio, OnStar etc. One thing I found interesting in the owners manual, of course went straight to the oil section. It has GM's standard recomendation of 5-30 year round but it also has a paragraph that says if operating below -20 to consider 5-30 or 0-30 synthetic for better cold weather operation. It specifically says synthetic.
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
111
Location
Nashville, TN
Is all wheel drive important in your choice? If so, you can get it on the Uplander but I don't think it is available on the MPV.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
8,711
Location
Nothern USA
The latest gas price spike is down a little for now, but I think it is a big issue to look at for anybody thinking of trading now. Even with the Ohio Valley snows and river hills, 4WD would seldom be needed much over FWD. Most of the time when your wife gets out, likely things are going to be beaten down to ice which FWD handles well with decent tires. If she can't get out, likely everything will be closed anyhow.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
Messages
1,462
Location
MD
quote:
Originally posted by farrarfan1: Since I decided to get rid of my wife's 04 Concorde due to the possible sludge issue I've been checking out the current selection of vans. I've narrowed it down to the new Uplander from Chevrolet and the Mazda MPV.The Uplander is new this year so there isn't a lot of reviews about it. The MVP seems to get pretty good reviews from what I've been able to find on the net.The 3.0L seems like it gets favorable reports on this site.The Uplander has a 3.5L engine that I think has been used in some of GM's other models.Does anyone have any specific first hand experience thay would like to share on either model? Any advice would be appreciated because I trust most everyone on here's comments over a salesmans. Thanks.
I think you may be overreacting on the sludge issue.Just use something decent like M1 and a sensible intervals and you won't sludge that motor. I've got an 02 Toyota Sienna that supposedly is a "sludger" and I bet it doesn't have any sludge in it at all [Smile] .I've just used either M1 5W30(5k OCI)or dino(2.5k OCI)and made sure that my PCV system is clean [Big Grin] . It will be waaay cheaper in the long run.
 
Top