Advice on MC 5/30 in winter...miles vs time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some advice on my plan for winter for my 1997 4.6L T-bird with 100k miles:

I've already decided on MC 5/30 once winter really starts, and i want to run it until the winter is over...as my car is driven short-trips often, I was wondering if i can trust the MC 5/30 to go for 6 months, or shall I let it go only a certain number of miles, for ex.4k ot 5k?
basically, which option should I choose with MC 5/30 this winter?

(A) 6 months regardless of miles OR:
(B) 4k or 5k limit regardless of time
or any other option?

Thanks in advance for advice or & suggestions on any other options..

Hey,

I always did question the time vs mileage issue but could never come up with a straight answer.

Anyway, You should be ok with MC 5w30. Just to make sure though the MC can last through winter, I would dump in some LC per jug instructions and go from there. Since you live in NC, and winters I would think don't get too extreme, dino with LC over the duration of the winter should work nicely for you, even if you don't drive very much in the winter,,,,,AR

I think it needs to be changed on time. Like twice per year. This is due to your short trips

My 97 F-150 used to be driven 30k/year with 5-6 k change intervals using Schaeffer's 15w-40. My one analysis shows this regiment was good.
iron 23, lead 2, copper 2.

Schaeffer's is clearly an oil that can take even more sever service than that.

Now the F-150 gets 5k per year, very short trips mostly heavily loaded trips. The analysis of a 5k change interval showed iron 64, lead 124 copper 31.

New regiment is change twice per year. November and March. Yes the winter interval is shorter since this is when I think the damage is done.

I won't know if this has helped since I won't analysis again till March 05.

Oil cheap rebuild expensive.

TB, what happened to GC? It's ok, I use both oils myself. Just did an oc for moms A6 with the M/C and a big shot of ARX. I don't want to touch it again before St.Patricks, but know I will. I think 4 months/5000 miles is ok but have a better plan. I am getting an oil extractor and doing 2 fluid changes for each filter change. I can pump that old stuff out in the middle of winter and refill easily. At a cost of under $10 for oil only, it's a no-brainer and will get ya through winter without getting under the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
TB, what happened to GC? It's ok, I use both oils myself.

Since I moved to Buies Creek, NC I haven't seen GC in any of the AZ's close to me, and I don't want to travel a lot find it, especially with there being no real proof of GC having its magic touch with the 4.6L mod's that it has with other engines (whatever the green elves think). I liked GC ok with my 4.6L mod, but am pretty sure GC is not the best for it(start up and idle rattle, but OK while driving). T-bird has 100k now, and I don't want the extra hassel; and the extra price for GC may not be worth it...

Also regarding the fact that wifey and I are both in college now, and MC offering good quality for the buck, I thought the best option for me and the T-bird right now is the MC syn.blend 5/30 for the winter. Summer oil is not yet decided.

So I guess ca. 5 months with MC 5/30 should be OK for me?

[ October 24, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

97tbird by spring the new MC 10W-30 Synthetic Blend should be out.

A friend of mine has run Motorcraft 5W-30 Winter and 10W-30 Summer in a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6L for the last 6 years. He drives mostly short trips.

TBN between 2.0-2.5 on a CAT SOS UOA (He gets them free at work) after 5 mo / 5000 mi Winter and 7 mo / 7000 mi Summer.

He used 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 (Since it shears to a 20 weight anyway) last winter. You could not tell the difference from the UOA.

Gene

I've got a 1997 Mustang with the 4.6 engine and I know the owners manual states 5,000 miles or 6 months under normal driving conditions, it states that "frequent" towing, driving in extreme dusty conditions, stop and go, taxis etc, should change at 3,000 or 3 months. Every GM I've had states if you drive in stop in go driving period you should change every 3,000 miles. It's funny because the Ford dealers will tell you 3,000 mile oil changes no matter what, a direct contradiction to maintance recommendations from their owner's manuals. I'd use the MC 5W-30 for 6 months with no worries at all.

Thanks to all you guys for the info, and suggestions.
I'm now 100% decided on the syn.blend MC 5/30 and 5-6 months, depending on when it gets hot again.

Because I'll be stepping down to a 5w-30 from a thicker oil, i should probably expect some initial consumption, but my car has been great on oil so far, and I'm sure IF there's any consumption with MC 5/30 due to change in visc. it'll stop/stabilize itself quickly.( I might top it off with MC 10/30 or 10/40 If needed...have a bottle of MC 10/40 from my "thick oil" mentality days, wonder if it's still good enough as a "top-off"...it's about 1 year old, though

dunno.gif

Thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back