Advice on car for work, lots of driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the real-life advice. It's nice to have solid information when I throw out a "what would you do" question like this.

Originally Posted By: vtb
Preference would be something larger, more "prestigious".

I may have to take clients to lunch, and occasionally show up at events with the CxO's of the company.

I think you need to pay more.

Maybe not. My boss drives a Toyota Highlander. Her boss, one of the CxO's, drives a Lexus ES.

How important is MPG, and how high do you need to be? That's make a huge difference in suggestions. If you want to be in the upper 20s (MPG highway), your options are endless if you are open to "used" vehicles. Lower-mid 30 MPGSs, and your options are limited. For great MPG, a new Fusion SEL I4. Spending $25K, and driving many miles per year, I'd buy new (to get the warranty).

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Used Loaded Milan

Sweet car; almost bought one a few years ago. Was LOADED. Had the 3.0 Duratec v6, which has decent power and still returns reasonable fuel economy numbers. The inside and outside of the Milan (before and after facelift) both look very nice. I was actually behind an earlier model Milan on the way to work today, slightly regretting not buying one.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I realize you're asking for car advice, not life advice, but here's my real-life experience:

In my old job I had a big car allowance, a gas card, and a big geographic territory to cover. Lots of my co-workers throughout the country bought fat rides, on which their car allowance easily the payment. After 2 or 3 years, they had a 2 or 3 yr old car with 100-150K on it, worth a lot less than they owed. They then rolled that into another loan...and so on... It's the classic example of how to be really upside down in a car. I bought something boring, older, and reliable--for cash, so I never had this issue, and pocketed the car allowance for any repairs. It worked out well for me.

I understand wanting something cool to drive, after all you'll be in the car a lot. I also understand needing something that looks fairly respectable since you'll have clients in it--but don't overthink that one. There's nothing wrong with a rep being thrifty. I know a lot of CxO's who drive beaters, after all. So, the more decked-out version of a specific model would probably be more-than-adequate.

Given all you've said, I think a 2010 Fusion Limited, leather interior and all, 4cylinder engine makes a lot of sense (since gas is a concern). It's a bullet-proof car, presentable enough, and drives pretty well. Both the purchase price and the operating costs will be worlds cheaper than a euro sedan. It's also FWD, and while that may be more boring to drive, you're in PA and it's going to be better in the snow.

Best advice....I know plenty of folks who could write a check for some of the highest end cars who drive typical but nice regular cars. This comes off very financially responsible and sensible.

There are lots of nice mid-level cars that are quite luxurious and will suit your needs. I'd take a look at the Buick Regal, Ford Fusion (or sportier Mazda6), and Honda Accord Coupe. IMHO these are the best options in the mid-size segment...and all can be had with lots of bells and whistles, leather, etc.

If not the Ford Fusion, then how about the new Ford Taurus? There should be some available in that price range, and it appears (at least to me) to be much more upscale than earlier generations of the Taurus.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How come Ford does NOT share its hybrid with Mazda? At least I have never seen a Mazda 6 hybrid

Mazda is pursuing lightweight high strength steel and specially designed engines rather than hybrids. Mazda is releasing their Sky Activ engine line over the next few years. The 2012 Mazda3s will get a new Sky Activ engine first getting 40mpg.

I used to drive a massive number of miles. Here are my requirements:

1) comfy seat. I know this is self evident, but sometimes seats that are initially comfortable at the dealership start to trend the wrong direction for various reasons. The seat foam wears out, or the shape is not right, or the driver can't find a good position. (new Altima comes to mind) A full power drivers seat is a "must" for me.

2) Plenty of room to move around. Drivers and Pax areas can be spacious, or they can be "cocoon like". I like to move my legs around, and if it's too tight, I get uncomfortable. My 06 Jetta TDI had a transmission hump that interfered with my right leg in normal driving. Can you imagine how annoying that was after 17 hours! (a common Jetta complaint BTW).

3) Fully reclining front seats, especially the pax side, for resting. Some seats don't recline enough or track "aft" enough, and therefore, legs fall asleep and I get cramps, due to being "wadded up" for hours.

4) Something that can be easily repaired by a large network of dealers. My Jetta had simple transmission problems and parts were not even in the country!!! The 3 week wait was a real problem. I generally choose an American vehicle now.

5) Something quiet. The road noise is fatiguing, even if you think it won't bother you, you'll be happier at the end of a long day with a higher quality interior. My current Jaguar is a real pleasure on long drives. Mostly because it's quiet.

6) Something mid to "full" size, but not huge. Small is small and I feel cramped after a few hours. TownCar's are wonderfully comfortable on long trips, but often bigger than necessary.

7) If you can, rent a few different cars and live with them for a little while. Initial impressions can and will change. I hated the new Camaro at first, but fell in love with it at the end of 3 weeks! Where the Altima and Mustang were, at first quite nice. But after 2 weeks, they were not for me.

Lexus ES, or if you want something completely luxurious Lexus LS. Reliable, Safe, Ultra-Smooth, Quiet, and Luxurious.

Last edited:
I'm really leaning toward domestic:

Caddilac CTS
New Charger/300
Buick LaCrosse
Buick Regal

I suppose the proof is in the test drive. And thanks for the tip to rent, that's a good idea. although most dealers will let you have an "extended" test drive.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I'd say anything with a direct injection 4cyl.

If your pref is domestic... I'd trust Ford most; in my fam we had plenty of experience with Ford and GM; Ford definitely seemed to be way on top for very low maintenance costs and holding up.

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/specifications/engine/

Better yet, something with direct injection and a hybrid-lite system.

For budget priced German cars, I think this one is very very slick:

http://www.vw.com/en/models/beetle/gallery.html

seems like a blast, and now that they've had some time to refine the new beetle I'd think it may be a decent shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back