Advice on Car Bra on New $$$ Paint Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,

Just need some advice....within a few a weeks my midlife car sectional repaint will be over....and ill be a few k$ short *lol*

Is there anything I should now on Car Bras? I just ordered a two peice unit from Jegs by Covercraft.

Since the finish is new is it safe for the Bra to go right on? Or should I wait a few months, then wax and apply the bra? However by then all it will take is one wayward nut or pebble to destroy the virgin finish
frown.gif

Should it be left on indefinately or periodically removed to allow for washing?

Front fascia's are expensive to repaint....however some boards say bra's are a scratch risk themselves.

Any advice will be appreciated. A Technalon Evolution 4 car cover will also be used when the vehicle can not be garaged.

I just bought and put on a LeBra on my 99 Saturn. I had put one on it within a week of buying the car back in 99. The bra was getting a bit "frayed" and while not torn it was due to be replaced. Besides, while at it, ti trashed the front licence plate bracket...front end of the car looks much better now!!

After i took the old bra off, i looked closely at the paint. Duller in apppearence is some areas near where the bra ends on the hood. Some elbow grease cleaned this right up...as you know, LeBra's are not expensive, and while made to specific cars, fit and finish isnt perfect.

I noticed looking thru the directions on the LeBra that it specifically stated NOT to put it on a car that has been repainted. No further explaination was offered.

I like the color contrast of the bras and the bit of protection they offer from stone chips...Just IMHO, YMMV

darrell
sin city

Modern paint systems don't off-gas like acrylic and enamel paint jobs of the 60's and 70's. Because they don't off-gas, you don't have to worry about waiting to put a bra on, or even putting wax on the car.

Bras need to be put on the car when it is clean, and should not be used in the snow. If dirt gets between the bra and the paint, you will get chaffing, and it will dull your paint. Personally, I'm not too fond of bras for this reason.

The best thing you can get is a clear bra. There are various companies that sell the patterns, but only a few film manufacturers. The most popular film is a urethane made by 3M called Scotchgard. You can get the patterns pre-cut for your car from various companies like Xpel and Invinca-Shield The toughest part is finding someone that will do a good job installing it.

I got mine from Invina-Shield, and it does a great job of protecting the front end. And unless you're looking for it, you don't know it's there.

outrun, DON'T USE A BRA!

Get a wind deflector and take the bra back.

My buddy just too off the bra from his truck and the paint under the edge was worn through plus the difference in color between the bra covered portion and the faded exposed hood looked like crap.

Do yourself a favor and don't put it on, you will regret it.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
outrun, DON'T USE A BRA!

Get a wind deflector and take the bra back.

My buddy just too off the bra from his truck and the paint under the edge was worn through plus the difference in color between the bra covered portion and the faded exposed hood looked like crap.

Do yourself a favor and don't put it on, you will regret it.

Just curious how long the bra was on the car?

What year was the truck?

I have had bras on my cars since mid 80's...a bit of scuffing that waxed/buffed out...but not paint fading/mismatching, no wore thru holes, etc...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

1992 Red 4Runner

Cleaned every week.

You can't say that having the bra on won't have the exposed paint fading more than the paint under the bra.

Plus, grit and dirt gets under the edge and with the movement, it will start to wear through the paint through time.

I agree don't use the bra on paint. Not a good idea!

As far as offgassing, all finishes offgas! You have different rates of curing. You have coelescing or crosslinking depending upon the carrier.

In spite of the reported issues with using one, the stone chip damage is probably more expensive in terms of long term expense. You can replace the bra two or three times ..and maybe do some buffing underneith it on occasion, but without it ...you'll have a lifetime of stone chip repair. You'll never stop stone chips without one.

So, although there's some liability to using one, its absense kinda signs you on for a carrier in paint touch up.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
In spite of the reported issues with using one, the stone chip damage is probably more expensive in terms of long term expense. You can replace the bra two or three times ..and maybe do some buffing underneith it on occasion, but without it ...you'll have a lifetime of stone chip repair. You'll never stop stone chips without one.

So, although there's some liability to using one, its absense kinda signs you on for a carrier in paint touch up.

True, but we are trying to convey is there other way to protect the front like using a low profile wind deflector or the clear chip guard strips that are available.

Bra's pretty well do the same amount of damage as not having one at all.

quote:

I don't quite agree. If you use a bra, you typically never take it off except to clean under it. It's sorta an integrated accessory. They aren't unsightly, IMHO, and whatever "damage" that they do is tyically in terms of "dulling" the finish. Air deflecters, OTOH, can look very tacky on the wrong type of vehicle and offer only partial protection.

I don't see how you can make a clear bra any less damaging than a normal one. Or rather if you can make a clear bra inocuous ...someone has to be able to make a normal bra act just like a clear one.
dunno.gif

The bras that I've used that have dulled the finish under them were usually those that didn't have a secure fit. Any loose edges would just hammer away on the paint.

I am the clear strip you put along the edge of your hood. No a clear wind deflector.

Do you have a link to one? I've seen the acrylic wind deflectors ...usually on SUV's and trucks ..they seem to make sense. I don't use them ...but I can understand the desire for them.

I'd like to get an idea for the alternatives that you're referring to.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
1992 Red 4Runner

Cleaned every week.

You can't say that having the bra on won't have the exposed paint fading more than the paint under the bra.

Plus, grit and dirt gets under the edge and with the movement, it will start to wear through the paint through time.

I am not arguing with ya...but i am saying exactly that...the exposed paint didnt fade, but i am pretty anally retentive about waxing/keeping it clean.

The dirt/grit issue i understand...but again, in my particular cases, both cleaned up perfectly with a good waxing...and no issues with it "wearing through"...

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

quote:

Do you have a link to one?

Think clear, very upscale, contact paper. They are clear plastic that sticks directly to your paint.

I know someone who got a kit installed on the front of his Corvette. You can't tell it's there except at the edge and the edges are fairly unobtrusive.

There may be other brands, but this is the one I keep hearing about.

Clear paint protector

I don't quite agree. If you use a bra, you typically never take it off except to clean under it. It's sorta an integrated accessory. They aren't unsightly, IMHO, and whatever "damage" that they do is tyically in terms of "dulling" the finish. Air deflecters, OTOH, can look very tacky on the wrong type of vehicle and offer only partial protection.

I don't see how you can make a clear bra any less damaging than a normal one. Or rather if you can make a clear bra inocuous ...someone has to be able to make a normal bra act just like a clear one.
dunno.gif

The bras that I've used that have dulled the finish under them were usually those that didn't have a secure fit. Any loose edges would just hammer away on the paint.

I thought this thread was going to be about clear bras. Wait, how about...? *runs off to the patent office, then strikes deal with Victoria's Secret*
tongue.gif

PS: For the record, I'd never put anything as effeminate as a bra on my car. My car wears its scars proudly.

Okay ..so you're effectively applying a durable clear coat on the most vulnerable areas. I didn't read the whole advertisement ..but at some point, I have to believe, you're going to be left with a lousy looking piece of high tack clear tape that has to be removed and replaced. I would imagine that what it leaves behind is pristine and otherwise unmodified from the experience (I somehow doubt this).

That is, aren't you trading one type of damage for another? This stuff can't last forever.

I'll have to snap a picture of the front of my car tomorrow. It's a '92 VW Golf with the thick plastic protection and 403K km on the clock. The plastic has shifted in a few spots and it's shrunk a couple mm too. Despite having a few spots where it has been damaged by rocks it looks okay in my mind. The fronts of the fender flares do not have the tape and there is a lot of visible primer paint and some rust. On this particular car it would probably be better to have a wind deflector on the hood and tape everywhere else. The problem is that it gets really good mileage so the windshield is filthy before you've even burned half a tank. Makes ya want to stop in at the gas station for a quick window cleaning and no fuel.

The funny thing is that before I got this car it was primarily used for divided highway and city driving but even so both of its headlight covers were smashed to bits. I bought a new set of clear headlight covers but would like to try the plastic headlight tape instead. I'd prefer better night vision and cracked but taped headlights over what I have now.

Steve

quote:

Okay ..so you're effectively applying a durable clear coat on the most vulnerable areas. I didn't read the whole advertisement ..but at some point, I have to believe, you're going to be left with a lousy looking piece of high tack clear tape that has to be removed and replaced. I would imagine that what it leaves behind is pristine and otherwise unmodified from the experience (I somehow doubt this).

That is, aren't you trading one type of damage for another? This stuff can't last forever.

Better than having 1/2 of your hood faded a different color than the other under the bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back