Advice on a Straight 30W Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
Does anyone have any suggestions on a 30W synthetic for 5hp walk behind mowers (Honda & Deere) ?

I've tried Neo in the past, but it's a little pricey. I use M1 10W30 in the fall, but need a good 30W for summer. I'm currently using Castrol 30W dino. The mowers do not have filters, and I change the oil about once a month.

Thanks !
cool.gif

Harbor, do you own a landscaping business? If not I think that changing your oil monthly is overkill. By the way,
welcome.gif
. -Joe

run down to your nearest volvo penta marine dealer get a qt.of volvo penta marine full synthetic 30 wt. oil. sure you got plenty of marinas up your way, if not they carry it downriver
grin.gif

I know that Honda is not Briggs. But since 1989 at least-they(Briggs) allow 30, 10W-30, 10W-40. In synthetic: 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40. The Briggs will outlive you on 10W-30 either Syn or non-syn. If Honda cant-get a Briggs
smile.gif

I agree with joee12-you are changing way too often. Once a season for me. Briggs recommends each season or 50 hours of operation under "norml conditions". Under heavy load or high ambient conditions-every 25 hours or once a week. I would think with synthetic, though, you could go much longer in the second case.

Guys - Thank you for the input. I do have a part-time landscape business going, hence the monthly oil changes.

I'll either try M1 in the summer months or the Volvo-Penta 30W marine synthetic.

Bubba - Are you sure that marine oil is ok for high hour mower engines? Also, what's the cost?

Thanks again.

harbor, i have been using the volvo 30 wt in my kohler 14.5 for 3 seasons now, and also havnt had any of the lifter noise these engines are known for. also use it in my 8500 watt generator have a briggs on that. remember that ice storm last winter? my genset ran nonstop 7 days in a row. no oil use. dn here in gibralter at the marina they charge 6 bucks a qt for it. volvo marine engines are just h.d. chevy engines, so i expect it meets all reg oil requirements and maybe has some extra additives. dont know who makes it for them. i also use it in my boat. volvo marine has recomended synthetics for their engines and outdrives for the last few yrs.
grin.gif

quote:

also use it in my 8500 watt generator have a briggs on that. remember that ice storm last winter? my genset ran nonstop 7 days in a row. [/QB]

bubba: Just out of curiosity: I have a Generator Set which I put together myself avout 30 years ago. It is belt drive and a reduction that allows the engine (Which is a Briggs Cast Iron - Horizontal Shaft Engine) to run at 2800 rpm. I realize I am getting less power at that rpm. Fuel consumption is huge-even for maybe a 400 wat load the thing drinks about a gallon of gas in a 4 hour period.
shocked.gif
How much fuel does yours use at a specific load? Just curious. Happy New Year

harbor

Your John Deere dealer sells a full line of motor oil. And it may be cheaper than you think. Look for Deere oil at Home Depot this spring.

However, in my one lung equipment I now use the same stuff that goes in my car, truck and tractor. Schaeffer's series 7000 15w-40.

Of course cold here may differ from cold where you live.

al, i have a 5500/8500 watt genrac,running the furnace,fridge,freezer, a few lights,and the tv. it was running 10 hrs on 5 gallons.
smile.gif

I use Rotella 15W-40 truck oil in my Billygoat leaf vacuum with good results. I change twice a year because of dusty conditions and it doesn't consume any oil between changes. I think that you can substitute this for straight 30 weight without any problems. I don't think that straight 30 weight is available like it used to be.
cheers.gif

There are plenty of 30W dinos out there but not too many 30W synths. I use Schaeffer's 30W Moly blend in my 4HP Tecumseh mower engine and it works great. You get synthetic protection plus moly at a price closer to dino. Maybe the best of all worlds for an air-cooled engine.

I'm running Schaeffers 10W-30 Series 7000 in my Briggs 3.5 Rototiller. Will run their 15W-40 in my 5.5 Honda mower. My Volvo Penta boat motor still gets Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine oil.

bretfraz - I'm with you on using Schaeffer's, however, I can't find it in anything smaller than the large multi-gallon pails /drums.

Any suggestions on getting it in quart sizes ??

quote:

Originally posted by harbor:
bretfraz - I'm with you on using Schaeffer's, however, I can't find it in anything smaller than the large multi-gallon pails /drums.

Any suggestions on getting it in quart sizes ??

I bought my Schaeffer's stuff from Tim Mills, site sponsor here.

If you need a good spray lube to replace stuff like WD40, get some Penetro 90. It's terrific!

Another case of the engines outliving the rest of the units. I have a Craftsman mower 4.5 hp self propelled, and a leaf vacuum/chipper 4hp both about 10 years old. Had to have the fan blade welded last year on the vac as parts are no longer made. Same on mower, can no longer get new parts. Engines, both tecumsahs, have been on the cheapest synthetic I can find at the time, from Havoline to Mobil 1 to wal mart all 10W30 year round. Change both twice a year, spring and fall. Manuals say straight 30W but the 10W30 seems to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back