Advice on 2013 Camry parked and not started for 2 years !!!!!

So long story short. My brother's 2013 4 cyl Camry has been parked since summer 2018 not driven or started. And now my Dad is trying to get it up and running and sold my brother wants a SUV now. So we dont want to invest much $$$ into it. Keep in mind taking it to the dealer is NOT a option

So what do you guys recommend before trying to start the car and not destroy anything ??

Off the top of my head I'm thinking:

Fresh Oil change (I have some mobil super 0W-20 in my stash or can I use some 5W-20 since its about to get hot in my region
Some fresh gas 2-5 gallons ??
2 bottles of HQ fuel cleaner. Gumout or B12 berryman's ???
New battery
Transmission service new pan gasket and fluid ??

Dave

I’m not sure I’d touch the transmission. If parked inside I might just check oil level and ignore. Charge the battery and hope for the best.

I would check the fluids first. Then check inside engine compartment to make sure no rodents etc didn't make nests or eat wiring etc. I would probably put the battery on a charger since it's probably dead and see if it can hold a charge or at least set it to engine start setting on the Charger if it has the option.

Then i would try to start it.

Charge the battery and since you have "leftover" oil, do an oil change. Wash it, including the engine bay, vacuum the interior, fill the tires with the right amount of air (maybe take it for a good, longer drive to help any flat-spotting), and get the gas gauge to around a 1/2 tank. That's it... A buyer can only see the fuel level but you tell them you just did an oil change, it's worth a lot of points to the average buyer.

As other have said, don't touch the transmission (unless you have spare ATF that works for this vehicle).

For the first start, a good big ( high number of CCA ) charged battery in the vehicle with cleaned terminals, and also jumped with heavy cables to a vehicle with a big ( high CCA ) charged up battery. ( Never run the good vehicles engine when jump starting. There is a small but real chance of damaging the alternator of the good vehicle if the engine is running when the bad vehicles starter loads things down. )

A vehicle that has sat for years will draw a heck of a lot more current for the first start. After a few minutes of running, any rust in the cylinders that cause the extra load during starting will be gone, and from then on it will only require a normal battery in it to start. But that first start is really rough, so the best thing to do is have plenty of current available to turn it over instead of stalling the starter and not having it crank.

Also if it's been stored outdoors where it's rained/snowed etc the rotors are probably rusted and may by siezed to the pads, so be careful of you drive it.

yes and yes. Whats recommend to fix the rust brakes ?? like a quick fix to get it going on the road

Dave

I'd start it and drive it. The oil did not go bad. The gas may be a problem. Sometimes solvents can help.

After driving it for a bit, I'd address any issues that crop up. Then give it a good servicing.

I would remove the spark plugs and shoot some penetrating oil in each cylinder. Let it soak over night. Run the starter to blow out any residual oil. Install plugs and start the car. Let it run until warm. Change oil and filter. Check rotors for any bad corrosion. Drive the car.

Besides possibly a battery situation -- fire the Toyota right up. Give it a fresh oil change after the initial start and she well see someone many years of positive service moving forward. Not sure if your state has inspection -- but that is due if you do.

yes and yes. Whats recommend to fix the rust brakes ?? like a quick fix to get it going on the road

Dave
If it starts and can drive just try to pump the brakes and see if the car moves. You may be able to have the brake pads remove the rust themselves after a few sets of starts and stops.

Again don't go on a high speed drive until you know the brakes are good.

If it's bad like my brother in law's car was you can remove the wheels and use a hammer and piece of wood to wack the rotors a bit where they are exposed. Don't go nuts on hitting the rotors.

The battery is probably dead, that being said once you do start the car the computer needs to re learn idle and the trans needs to re learn its adaptation settings. Let the car warm up to operating temp and gointoclosed loop operation thendriveit around, just beaware that its going to drive a bit funky for the first 100 miles or so. After that an oil change and a dose of regane wouldnt hurt. A brake fluid change is probably a good idea too

Reactions: JC1
2 years is not all that much for a fuel injected car. I've had some sitting over 5 years and not have any problems. I assume you didn't leave the battery in the car all this time but brought in inside and kept it charged. If not, expect to buy a new one. I'll bet it starts up within 5 seconds, 10 tops.

After 2 years that battery is likely toast. I'd get a used one from the junkyard.

I recently started a car that had been sitting three years and honestly, that's all I did. It fired right up and after I drove it to the gas station and put 5 gallons of premium in it, it ran fine.

Charge or replace battery
Air up tires
Check oil, start and drive around for a few days
Observe any possible new problems, as you drive hopefully the brakes smooth out and the tires smooth out
Change oil
Wash/vacuum
Check for open recalls, have them performed if need be
Sell privately for $$$

Back