Advice on 2-year-old oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to order some Auto-RX for my van and I'm trying to decide what "conventional" oil I'll use for the treatment. I've got a two-year-old case of SJ/GF-2 Conoco Hydroclear 10w30 that's never been opened. Do you guys think this oil would be okay to use for the Auto-RX treatment?

What are you putting it in?? I would use it as long as you don't run the heck out of it and put too many miles on it. The fact that its a 10W-30 in SC is probably good.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
What are you putting it in?? I would use it as long as you don't run the heck out of it and put too many miles on it. The fact that its a 10W-30 in SC is probably good.
smile.gif

I'm only going to be using it (in my Olds minivan) for the Auto-RX treatment, which means it will be in the engine for 750 miles. My concern is the AGE of the oil. Is it still "good" after sitting in my garage on the shelf for two years?

Gman, run it with no worries, since you are using it for an Auto-RX treatment. I know that the topic of how long oil is good for has been tossed around a few times, but I can never remember the rule of thumb. -Joe

I seem to recall 3 years from Mobil. But you are younger than I Patman . Your memory is hopefully better
lol.gif
. Anyway-If when you are pouring it in and there is a lot of sediment in the bottom, you might not want to add any more of the stuff and buy new.

I'm sure that won't happen though.

G-Man II, I was taught that the base stock in the bottle is good almost indefinately. The additves on the other hand can last anywhere from two-four years before any breakdown in them becomes significant enough to worry about. This info is a bit out dated. My chemistry prof. in H.S. retired from Mobil before takeing up teaching. This was back in the late 80's. So I am sure things have changed with additives. It would appear thought that we all agree that 2 years is fine.

Make sure you go to the Auto-Rx site and follow direction exactly. If you do not and you post anything that is not absolutely glowing you will be publicly drawn and quatered! I made the mistake of putting fresh oil in by misunderstanding and was cruxified for it! So just a friendly warning!! Following the directions for your application!!

When I did my application the oil for the first treatment was to be the old used dirty oil already in the engine. If you added new oil then you had to put at least 1500 miles on it before adding the AUto-Rx.Things might of changed but I would still check the Auto-Rx site. The last thing you need is for the Auto-Rx cult to make life difficult for you when you post anything about your experinces and observations!!

For the record I like the product. I just think that it is insane that no one can report anything but glowing reviews without being abused for it. We do not see this type of behavior with any other product. Someone can make any coment they want about Lube Control,132,131,B-12, Oil Extreme..... and no matter how bad the remark is it does not generate public 5 pages of posts. No one comes out of the word work to redicule of demoralize the person that posted the remarks. On the other hand if you say anything that is not absolutely positive about Auto-Rx you will be attacked in droves.

quote:

For the record I like the product. I just think that it is insane that no one can report anything but glowing reviews without being abused for it. We do not see this type of behavior with any other product. Someone can make any coment they want about Lube Control,132,131,B-12, Oil Extreme..... and no matter how bad the remark is it does not generate public 5 pages of posts. No one comes out of the word work to redicule of demoralize the person that posted the remarks. On the other hand if you say anything that is not absolutely positive about Auto-Rx you will be attacked in droves.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well put.
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Make sure you go to the Auto-Rx site and follow direction exactly. If you do not and you post anything that is not absolutely glowing you will be publicly drawn and quatered! I made the mistake of putting fresh oil in by misunderstanding and was cruxified for it! So just a friendly warning!! Following the directions for your application!!

See my post here.

JohnBrowning said,
"When I did my application the oil for the first treatment was to be the old used dirty oil already in the engine. If you added new oil then you had to put at least 1500 miles on it before adding the AUto-Rx.Things might of changed but I would still check the Auto-Rx site."

John,

I've never heard anything about the carrier oil having to have at least 1500 miles on it. Where did you get that info?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I'm about to order some Auto-RX for my van and I'm trying to decide what "conventional" oil I'll use for the treatment. I've got a two-year-old case of SJ/GF-2 Conoco Hydroclear 10w30 that's never been opened. Do you guys think this oil would be okay to use for the Auto-RX treatment?

2 years old is that all. I would use it up to 4 or 5 years old myself. I have before. Didn't have the motors blow up or anything.

[ August 17, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Hirev ]

timzac, the part about at least 1500 miles on new oil was sent to me in a private email from Frank. This information is not on the site. I might get this wrong but the way it was explained to me is that the additives interfer with Auto-Rx's cleaning ability. This is why dino is prefered to synthetic as synthetic oils tend to have a more robust additive package. Additves in the oil and esters in RX compete for space on metal surfaces I guess. All I know is that I was told by Frank that my lack of visable results were because I did not follow the instruction and added the Auto-Rx to clean oil! THe way I figure it it is too easy to add it to dirty oil already in the engine. I asume that everyone that spends the money for it wants to get the best results possable. If it does not work as promised you can not hold the product liable if you did not follow the directions. So following the application instructions protects Frank and the consumer to the maximum! Just my $.02!

Two things, gents:
1) Thanks for the reminder do send in old oil for "V" OA tests so we can have a look.
2) If I buy cheap oil for a 500 mile Auto-RX-ing, if it's $1 a bottle (Quart / litre) how the heck does one know what year it was out into that bottle, anyway?
Furthurmore, suppose a 15 minute-type oil change place opens up. How do you know they didn't pick up a half-full 50 gal drum of Brand X 10W30 from another such shop that closed up 3 years earlier?
Well? Doesn't that make ya go "Hmmmmmmm"???
Thanks!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back