Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of info to digest. The car only calls for 5-30, no other weights. 10-30 during warm months imo will cause no issues. 5-20 imo will because it's to thin. What if I were to use the 5-20 and throw in a bottle of liqui moly motor oil save that I have? Would that thicken the lighter oil? The cars an oil burner but runs very strong so I don't wanna put the final nail in the coffin.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Lots of info to digest. The car only calls for 5-30, no other weights. 10-30 during warm months imo will cause no issues. 5-20 imo will because it's to thin. What if I were to use the 5-20 and throw in a bottle of liqui moly motor oil save that I have? Would that thicken the lighter oil? The cars an oil burner but runs very strong so I don't wanna put the final nail in the coffin.

Think about this for a moment okay? You chafe at using a higher grade oil because you are worried about the recommendation in your owner's manual, but you are all right with an additive that surely accomplishes the same thing?

Originally Posted by geeman789

The 5w and 10w part of the oil description have nothing to do with weight. They are cold temperature ratings. There is no " 7.5w ... " anything.

Maybe there is ... interesting made up grades for this Japanese tuner company oil.

[Linked Image]

The 5w and 10w part of the oil description have nothing to do with weight. They are cold temperature ratings. There is no " 7.5w ... " anything.

Maybe there is ... interesting made up grades for this Japanese tuner company oil.

[Linked Image]

Yep, completely invalid grades not recognized by the SAE, where there is no definition for them
lol.gif
Ridiculous!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by D1dad

Think about this for a moment okay? You chafe at using a higher grade oil because you are worried about the recommendation in your owner's manual, but you are all right with an additive that surely accomplishes the same thing?

Exactly right kschachn.... Hey dad... I have a thought... Just get Havoline high mileage 5w30 with a HTHS of 3.4. The HTHS is how thick the oil is in the motors bearings... That is a thicker oil right out of the box... No additive needed. It's like shooting fish in a barrel... Or using underwater explosive Dynamite to catch fish easy
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back