Advice needed. Damaged a friends Model Y

Ok, so a neighboring hangar friend (at the airport) purchased a new Model Y and let me test drive it. I parked it where it was, then opened the hatch and it hit the hangar door.

The paint chipped about 1/4 inch on the top of the hatch spoiler area. I've repeatedly offered to pay for repairs, what ever the cost. The owner has been very gracious, and has put off accepting any money. However, his excuse is that he can't get an appointment with Tesla for unrelated repairs of poor body panel fit. The idea being that they would be fixed at the same time.

Here we are, 4 months down the road and I'm concerned that corrosion and or degradation will set in and the repair will be more extensive. But more than that, I'd simply like to settle the situation and be done with it.

I'm thinking of simply placing $500 on his seat, to at least cover part of all of the cost. It could be more or less, depending on how the chip is fixed.

Thoughts?

Give him the $500 and call it a down payment, and if it is more you will pay it. That is assuming you trust him as an honest friend. Who knows, once they get it in the shop they may fix the chip at no cost while they do the warranty work. This also assumes Tesla gives your friend an appointment. Tesla's units sold are on a big upward trend, it is not surprising that their repair shops build up lags the units being sold.

Cujet, you know more about repair costs than I ever will. I have a great paint guy nearby; Alex gets all my business and I recommend him constantly. I would get a quote from someone who has done such a repair on a Tesla (I understand the pearl white is difficult to match) and give your friend a check.

Good luck, your heart is in the right place. I also suggest telling him your concerns about further damage erosion...

Last edited:
Sounds like the owner is being cool about it. That's a plus. But the fact is, you want this over as soon as possible. The likelihood of corrosion of the exposed metal, paint peeling, or difficulty matching because of fading increases with each passing day. If you can find a way to make him accept $500, that's probably the cleanest path out.

Back in about 2005, I was pulling into a friend's driveway at night, driving my newly restored 1971 EL Camino, 454 SS. It was dark and I didn't turn quite hard enough, whacked the quarter panel of my friend's new CR-V. Put a hole the size of a quarter right above the wheel arch on the Honda, didn't leave even a mark in the chrome on my '71 Chevrolet 😆. I told her to take it to a shop of her choice for repair and I'd pay, the Honda dealer quoted her $450 and she refused. Told me to forget about it.

To me a car is a depreciating liability ,,a tool. I worked fleet too long! I have little love for a vehicle other that it does what it is intended to do, Maybe the car owner thinks the same way.

You want to do the right thing and he wont let you? Now that this has happened he does have a measure of responsibility to take action to remedy it. If the condition worsens due to inaction it is not your concern as you have an open offer to compensate him. Sounds like he is not too worried about it.

If he's a good friend take him at his word and don't worry (to much :) ) about it.

I had a good friend back into my truck years ago, did a bit of damage but I realized it was a mistake. I told him not to worry and forgave him, because I knew it was just and accident. I felt the relationship was worth more than the money it would cost to repair. I try to never let money get in the way of friendships.

If the damage was greater than that might be a different story but sometimes just knowing the other person is apologetic can be enough.

Ok, so a neighboring hangar friend (at the airport) purchased a new Model Y and let me test drive it. I parked it where it was, then opened the hatch and it hit the hangar door.

The paint chipped about 1/4 inch on the top of the hatch spoiler area. I've repeatedly offered to pay for repairs, what ever the cost. The owner has been very gracious, and has put off accepting any money. However, his excuse is that he can't get an appointment with Tesla for unrelated repairs of poor body panel fit. The idea being that they would be fixed at the same time.

Here we are, 4 months down the road and I'm concerned that corrosion and or degradation will set in and the repair will be more extensive. But more than that, I'd simply like to settle the situation and be done with it.

I'm thinking of simply placing $500 on his seat, to at least cover part of all of the cost. It could be more or less, depending on how the chip is fixed.

Thoughts?

Don't leave cash, someone could come get it like it was never there...

Maybe a check?

Give him the 500. If it's more cover it.
If not or he doesnt say anything - you can sleep knowing you took the high road and your loaner credit is always good going forward.

That would be a $250 repair at a decent PDR shop. I do it all the time at our dealership. Good as new.

250 plus the time to drop off pick up and be without the car you are making payments on.

Tesla service is that horrible. My friend got a head long collision when he ran a red light left turn and it took like 2 months to get an appointment to fix that. So yeah, if your friend said he will make appointment to fix it and refuse payment then just let it be. 1/4" of a chip isn't that big of a deal to many.

Tesla service is that horrible. My friend got a head long collision when he ran a red light left turn and it took like 2 months to get an appointment to fix that. So yeah, if your friend said he will make appointment to fix it and refuse payment then just let it be. 1/4" of a chip isn't that big of a deal to many.

On a Tesla?

I know you feel really bad about the damage and want to make it right but giving him money when he has said not to worry about it might make him feel worse. I know I hate it when I do a favor for someone and they feel they need to pay me or give me gas money. I know this is a bit different but your making the offer and checking back in with him later is all thats necessary. I am just guessing here but if you hit his hanger with his plane in it with his new Y the money may not be a concern.

Tesla approved body shop prices are extremely high compared to normal body shops. Not sure where the chip is on the hatch or the color of the car, but they may want to blend adjacent areas. This can easily turn into a 4 digit repair.

I heard that ONLY an authorized Tesla repair department can correctly fix them because the senors on them can be damaged if someone works on them and does not know what is required to not damage the sensors.

Tesla approved body shop prices are extremely high compared to normal body shops. Not sure where the chip is on the hatch or the color of the car, but they may want to blend adjacent areas. This can easily turn into a 4 digit repair.
Pretty much all paint jobs start at 4 digit these days.

Rule #1 never damage a Tesla. Yeah i can see you being concerned,but from the above comments Tesla rarely carries parts, and alot of body shops won't touch one because of the shoddy build work.

Back