Advice: Fumoto valve or Fram Sure Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOGERs

Fumoto valve vs Fram Sure Drain?

I had a frustrating experience on the weekend. I have never before in my adult life had enough space to even do my own oil changes. Now that I do, I am eager. Also for the first time I have parking space for 3 cars, meaning I can store my P-car instead of winter driving it. My objectives with DIY Oil changes are primarily the routine freedom to use my own choice of oil and filter and to once a year preparation of my car for winter storage with fresh oil.

I had my new to me car, a fancy German oil filter, filter wrench, Auto-RX, 7 quarts of Esso XD-3 15w40 HDEO, car ramps and hand tools in my tiny and i mean tiny garage. It is a major chore getting it up on ramps due to the lack of space and the low clearance of the front end.

Anyhow I got her up and got under with a drain pan and socket wrench. The oil drain plug appeared to have been tightend by Zeus. I was exerting so much force trying to release it I was worried about dropping the car on myself.

It was also about 85 degrees and about 99% humidity so I thought, I will lose ten pounds in sweat just trying to get this puppy open. So I chickened out and took it to a quickkie lube place. Since this is a short OCI for ARX clean, the quickie lube commodiities should be okay, but I still paid more for bulk oil and filter than I would have to DIY with quality parts.

Anyhow, I asked the Lube guys to try not to massively overtighten the drain plug so maybe I can get it open next time, but I really started to think "Man this would have been so straightforward if I had a better way of draining oil"

So, given that I do not appear to have clearance problems with the drain plug, and will not be winter driving this car, what are recommendations on a Fumoto valve vs Fram Sure Drain? I admit the name Fram makes me nervous. My main priority is functional integrity eg it not leaking, being knocked open, or deciding to dump on its own rather than pure ease of use.

I 2nd the Sure Drain. It works well and the dust cover is a nice feature. Not all Fram stuff is crap, their X2 oil filters and the Sure Drain are very nice. When I drain the oil in my truck I stick the Sure Drain hose into a large laundry detergent container and then screw it onto the oil pan. This way I don't have to transfer oil into a container to take it to be recycled. One thing I have noticed is after a few uses the orange tube starts to rotate on the brass fitting. I just clamped it down with some nylon zip ties and it's good as new.

I have the Fram sure drain on my nissan and my wifes civic. I used a little locktite on the threads when I installed them. I like the cap on the sure drain, its like insurance if the valve fails. I think you can get a Fumoto with a nipple lock. I wouldent want one without it, in my mind of anythings possible, I could see a plastic shopping bag catch the levar and pull it open while driving at high speed.

I've used Sure-Drains on most of the outfits I change oil on and it's a very nice unit.

I like that it has the dust cap and does not stick out much more than the stock plug.

With the Orange tube, Pick up a small hose clamp and use that on it.

Works like a charm. Very easy to get samples or to adjust oil level if needed.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I installed a Fumoto with the nipple and it works great. I left the hose on the valve to act as a dust cover, so sand and dirt doesnt get stuck on the nipple.

Has anyone had their oil changed by a shop after installing a Fumoto or Sure Drain? Could any problems occur, i.e., shop can't figure out how the valve operates, shop loses the hose, etc.? I thought about installing one, but was concerned that I would lose the option of getting free dealer oil and filter changes or complicate warranty work. Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by darryld13:
Has anyone had their oil changed by a shop after installing a Fumoto or Sure Drain? Could any problems occur, i.e., shop can't figure out how the valve operates, shop loses the hose, etc.? I thought about installing one, but was concerned that I would lose the option of getting free dealer oil and filter changes or complicate warranty work. Thanks!

If the shop can't figure it out you are in the wrong shop.

I use Fumotos on three vehicles, plus I am a regular participant in a forum for Duramax trucks where there are scores of Fumoto users who take their vehicles off road.

I have never heard of any Fumoto valves opening by themselves or by contact with road debris. The lever is spring loaded and must be turned a quarter turn to open.

It's very durable and is approved by several OEM's. Only thing I've noticed is that a small portion of oil is left behind whend draining using either of these products. It's very small amount though.

I chose the Fumoto because of it's sturdier construction. I had a Fram and it just felt cheap. That and I would end up loosing the little plug thing you need to get it to drain. Several have also said the Fumoto drains faster than the Fram.
I don't see how the Fumoto could "accidentialy" get opened up. And if your that worried, you can put a clip on it to keep anything from turning it, even yourself, without removing the clip, then pushing down on the handle and then turning it.

I installed one this weekend. I have no initial problems with it, well, accept it leaked slightly. I took care of that by tightening it just a nudge more. In about 1400 miles (ARX rinsing now) I'll see how it really works.

I agree with blupupher, the Fumoto is made very well. Fram had a chincy feel to it.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
I installed a sure drain this weekend. I had no initial problems with it, well, accept it leaked slightly. I took care of that by tightening it just a nudge more. In about 1400 miles (ARX rinsing now) I'll see how it really works.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:

quote:

Originally posted by darryld13:

If the shop can't figure it out you are in the wrong shop.

So should I take this to mean you have either one installed and haven't had it busted by a tech unfamiliar with it or you have one and find the operation so simple that you can't imagine a problem arising?

I have three vehicles, each with a Sure Drain. I like the flow rate of the Fumoto better, but the lever makes me nervous. If it had a removable lever (better yet, and allen wrench), it would be much more to my liking. Then add a nice cap like the Sure Drain and I might just buy three Fumotos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back