Advice Appreciated...and welcome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to board, I hang "out" on the Impala forum but, have been directed by numerous folks to y'all for "answers"....thanx in advance and I'll check posts or e-mail me dirct! Jeff

?#1 1996 Chevy Impala SS,..show/cruise car, only 9400~ miles, "garaged/covered less than 1000 annual miles", many "bolt on's and PCM changes" but "stock motor", Iron head LT-1, virtually always run minimum of 20+ minutes or longer, usually only weekly~ May-September and for an hourish every 6 weeks during "storage" at various RPM's etc.,sees 5K RPM and "hard runs" occasionally.....moderate climate, rare to see 90'F, just as rare to be below freezing...due to "time contraints" and laziness and my local "jobbers" etc., I have easy access/use only Mobil One (M1)oil and choice of either Delco, Delco Gold (UPF), Purolator (standard or Pure One) or OEM filters. Available M1 oil weights are: Ow-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, OW-40, if possible prefer 5w or 10W -30 since gallon jugs are availble at considerable savings....Oil stays "golden" for about a year+, no consumption: Should I use M1 5W-30 or 10W30? (or other weight?) I like the Delco UPF filter, is there a "slightly longer" UPF filter that I can use to slightly increase oil capacity? These motors are pretty "stout" but "oiling volume" sems more important then "pressure"..Any problem w/ my "extended time" change intervals (1-2 years)? w/ low miles and consistent "warm-ups" of engine operation at normal temps?...

Car #2 2003 Mazda Miata, 1.8L dual cam 4 cyl..gently driven about 6K~ miles year, occasional but, rare burst to 6500+ rpm.. often "short trips of 2-10 miles", (same climate as above), gets to noraml operating temp for about 15 minutes daily, rarely used for long trips, always given a 1-3 minute "warm-up" in am's, garagaged...drained oil at 2500 miles, replaced w/ Penzoil 5W-30 and Pure One filter and will change to M1 5W-30 at 5K miles w/ recommend Mazda "severe service" 5K intervals of oil and filter change thereafter, lots of valve clatter w/ stock mazda filter AND Pure One filter and 5W-30 oil for 2-5 seconds often when "cold started", noticed Mazda dealer and Purolatoer just changed "recommended filter number" few months back (?), (perhaps ADBV issue w/ the valve clatter at start up?) Question is: M1 5W-30 w/ Pure One filter ok or go with Mazda, AC Delco (standard) or OEM filter?

?#3 1998 Toyota Solara 2.2 4 Cylinder/auto trans, 75K~ miles, well maintained but, spouses car, driven in same climate (but, "gently") under all conditions, synthetic oil/premium filter w/ 7500~ intervals since new w/ 3750 mile dino oil change/filter to 7500 miles to assist "break in"..modest consumption of 10-20 oz per 7500 miles on 5W-30 synthetic except about double that (1+ quart per 7500) when driving long, hot highway travel (to/through California)..No drips, no rattles, smooth idle, etc.,...clean under valve cover, Am I ok w/ M1 5W-30 and Pure One filter /7500 intervals? OEM or Delco (standard) filter instead or stick w/ Pure One? Should I be thinking of different oil weight when traveling to/through California on highways, especially in summer (75mph, using a/c, 3hours at a time)?

Prefer M1 oils in 5w-30/10W-30 since the jugs are cheaper than other weights by the quart but am open to suggestions, Redline, Amzoil just too costly, diddo for the Delco UPF filters/Mobil One filters EXCEPT for the Impala SS...e-mail me or post and THANX! Jeff in Western WA...
grin.gif
wink.gif
patriot.gif
canada.gif

cool.gif
I'd use Mobil 1 in all three in 5w-30 if that's what the manuals call for. On the Impala one change a year will be fine but I wouldn't start it at all after you park it. Leaving it sit is the best thing. UPF is reported here to be a good filter but getting hard to find I've heard. I got excellent UOA's (that's Used Oil Analysis, newbie
grin.gif
) using Mobil 1 oil with the Mobil 1 filter on my wife's and my mom's cars.
Welcome to BITOG!
cheers.gif

For the LT1, definitely go with the 0w40 M1 over their 5w30/10w30. The LT1 likes an oil that is a thick 30 to low 40wt if you drive it hard. I also highly recommend the K&N oil filter, and get the longest one you can get. My LT1 has done well running this oil filter and a thick 30wt oil (in my case, Castrol 0w30)

ok, thats two different answers....more help please? Is there a longer Delco UPF filter than UPF52 that'll fit my SS? What about the filters for the Mazda and toyota? Pure One (using now), Std Delco, or OEM? thanx
worshippy.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

LT1's surely like it thicker. I'd stick with M1 on all accounts. Now the filter, lots of discussions here on that. Some like the quicker flowing like Patman. I prefer quality over quantity and go with PureOne. They have proven to filter more but may have questionable high flow rates, but doesn't seem to be a factor in my 02 Accord with UOA's to prove. But, Patman's UOA's have been good too with a K/N filter. May just boil down in how much you want to spend. M1 5W-30 in the second two and then like Patman suggested, 0W-40 for the first. You know, you might even go higher and look at M1 15W-50, I'm thinking about it in my 01 F150 5.4L, but that would be in the summer here in Oklahoma. At the least, I might mix 50/50 5W-30 and 15W-50. The 15W-50 also has a good batch of additives that a lot of us like.

[ March 22, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

reference the MAZDA filter # changing??, anybody know IF they changed specs or type of filter for any reason?? Note: I get a 2-5 scond "valve train clatter" at cold startup, disappears in very short period as OP gauge rises, with both old OEM (original filter or new P1 filter that I installed w/ Penziol dino 5W-30 at 2500 miles), (will switch to m1 5w-30 at 5K w/ 5K intervals..)

thanx again! Jeff

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff in Western WA:
ok, thats two different answers....more help please? Is there a longer Delco UPF filter than UPF52 that'll fit my SS?

The only two UPF filters in production are the UPF44 and UPF52, so you're out of luck there.

I didn't think there was a longer filter than the PF52 anyways, as that's already the upgrade from the stock PF47 on your car isn't it? You could probably find something longer in a special race filter though (perhaps from Moroso, as I know they make a super long one for my LT1 which is 8" long but my LT1 uses the fatter PF25/PF1218 width filters)

ok, so for the SS w/ LT-1 consensus is: UPF 52 w/ either 5w-30 M1 or..0W-40 M1...how bout 5W-40 M1 IF it's available...??

For the Mazda and 'Yota consensus so far is M1 5w-30 and Pure One Filters, any reason/better to stick w/ OEM or a perhaps a standard Delco f
grin.gif
cool.gif
dunno.gif
ilter for either?

I think M1 5w40 would work out very well in the LT1 in the summer. It's not something I'd run in the winter though, it doesn't have all that spectacular cold weather numbers.

For the mechanically but, not "chemistry" inclined...like me.....can you explain the differences of M1 OW-40 and 5W-40? with 5W-30 "preferred" by GM, why would I not go with 5W-40 vs. OW-40....?? hmmm..

Second, would Ow-30 or OW-40 be a better oil for the '03 Mazda and/or '99 toyota?

Still, not much "chimin in" 'bout filters...

I'm gona do what you "experts" say, I can read labels, interpret data but, I've not been the "Jeannie in the oil bottle" that you folks quite are..
grin.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I think M1 5w40 would work out very well in the LT1 in the summer. ....

What viscosity in cSt is best for an LT1 or LT4 at operating temperature?

[ March 22, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

I think M1 5w40 would work out very well in the LT1 in the summer. ....

Mine seems to be doing very well with GC 0w30, which started out at 12.2 cst and finished up at 12.9cst. But I also wonder if perhaps in the summertime when my oil temps are a bit higher, if something closer to 14 or 15 cst might be more ideal. This is why M1 0w40 or their 5w40 would probably be a great oil for the LT1 in the summer.

reference the MAZDA filter # changing??, anybody know IF they changed specs or type of filter for any reason?? Note: I get a 2-5 scond "valve train clatter" at cold startup, disappears in very short period as OP gauge rises, with both old OEM (original filter or new P1 filter that I installed w/ Penziol dino 5W-30 at 2500 miles), (will switch to m1 5w-30 at 5K w/ 5K intervals..)

They changed the miata part numbers for the filters because they changed suppliers. I use the Pure One in my Miata 2001 but I use the oversize PL14459 which works very well. Much larger, no startup noise and easier to hand tighten. Works for the Honda S2000 so should work great in a Miata.
I think you are being given great advise on the oil. Do what Patman says. He knows your LT1 engine well.

I don't know much about the other motors. Maybe M1 5W or 10W30 every 7500 miles.
dunno.gif

The LT1 should do great on the M1 0W40 changed every fall.
smile.gif

A non M1 choice for the LT1 would be Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic.
wink.gif

quote:

quote:

Mine seems to be doing very well with GC 0w30, which started out at 12.2 cst and finished up at 12.9cst. But I also wonder if perhaps in the summertime when my oil temps are a bit higher, if something closer to 14 or 15 cst might be more ideal. This is why M1 0w40 or their 5w40 would probably be a great oil for the LT1 in the summer.

I guess my question wasn't clearly worded. I meant to ask, what viscosity in cSt at the oils operating temperature if your oil doesn't run at 100C?

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess my question wasn't clearly worded. I meant to ask, what viscosity in cSt at the oils operating temperature if your oil doesn't run at 100C?

dunno.gif
confused.gif
I don't quite understand your question though.

quote:

QUOTE]
dunno.gif
confused.gif
I don't quite understand your question though.

Must the language barrier, eh.
dunno.gif

What I'm trying to do is take advantage of what you have learned and apply it to my car, an LT4. Which GM could have called an LT1.1. but that wouldn't have looked at good in the marketing brochures.
lol.gif

You have some oils and SAE viscosities you are getting good results with and you like. You sound like you know what you are doing so I am paying attention
smile.gif

I would like to know what oil temperatures are you running so I can figure out your in use real viscosity and decide if those are what I want for my application.

Is there any good available source of desirable actual viscosities (cSt at actual operating temperatuate) for various engines online.

[ March 23, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

I know what I'm doing..but, one can always get "a bit smarter" till dead...
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
I'm leaning to either the M1 0W-40 or 5W-40 for the "baby" (my pristine, hardly driven, one anal retentive owned 9400~ mile, 7 time show/class winner Impala SS) along with the UPF52 filter..the Mazda and Yota, I'd like to "run" the same oil in each, depending on advice, it's sounds like M1 5W-30, or M1 0W-30/40..(?) along with Pure One filter (oversized for Miata - thanx for that tip folks) or perhaps OEM filter...still considering y'all input!
grin.gif
cheers.gif
to ya for helping!

I'd love to see a picture of the SS if you can post 1! I use M1 10w30 year round in my LS1 Camaro and Silverado if that helps any. I'd use it over the M1 5w30 as it is a more shear stable oil but not much thicker if any.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back